Hardy Hibiscus Question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Hardy Hibiscus Question

Post by nanny_56 »

My husband saw one in a yard that was dark purple or maroon kind of colored and really like it. Any ideas on which one it may have been that he saw?????? I would like to get one for him if I can found out what it was!! Thanks!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I can't offer any assistance here, but if you find out, I would like to know, too! My favorite color sounds like. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
John

Post by John »

There is 'Plum Crazy', mine died before it bloomed. Probably, though, it may have been a Malva, or other Hibiscus relative... Don't know that there are any quite that dark that are hardy Hibiscus, there may be tropical ones though.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I believe Chris has these, I got one last year and can't wait until it blooms!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Is this what he saw? The Plum Crazy variety. Or maybe the Robert Fleming? Red, but so dark that it might seem maroon?
http://www.flemingsflowerfields.com/flowers.htm#

I have a plum-colored one. I don't think it's Plum Crazy; the leaves in the Fleming picture look like they are a purple color, and mine aren't. I certainly wouldn't call it purple or maroon, but it's a pretty plum color. I'm collecting seeds this summer, so if you want to give it a try, let me know.

This is mine this year:

And another (plum one on the left, Lady Baltimore in the middle, and Lord Baltimore on the right).

The plum one did go plum crazy this year, but I still don't think it's Plum Crazy!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I will take you up on that!! He looked at your pick and said it looks close and he was driving soooo. Save me some seeds from that one and the red one too if you have enough!!!

Thanks!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

The plum-colored one has a different leaf than most perennial hibiscus I've seen, too. It's not deeply cut and more maple-like than the others. The leaves are more rounded, as you can see in the picture.
It has a couple of really good seed pods that I'm watching to make sure they don't fall off and I miss them!
dlabod

Post by dlabod »

Adlesma--Beautiful flowers. What zone are you in? I'm in zone 4, will they grow as an annual here? Love some seeds also, if you have lots. gddlabod@newnorth.net Thanks, Deb
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I am in Zone 4-5, and they grow just great as a perennial here. I have found them to be pretty hard to kill, or they wouldn't be growing in my yard! :) Mine are very tall and full this year. I should have probably pinched them off early in the season, but once they started blooming I didn't want to, because there were so many buds on them. They've had their first round of blooms, and now there are another whole bunch of buds on them again.
I think I should have enough seeds. The mauvey-plum one has loads of seed pods. The pink one (Lady Baltimore, middle one in the pic above) has several, but I haven't had as many requests for that one, so I should also have plenty of that if you want some.
Nancy
dlabod

Post by dlabod »

adlesma-I like them all. I'm so glad I can grow them in zone 4. It does suppise me though. I'm in Rhinelander, Wi. So I don't have much luck growing to much. Would love any of the seeds you have of all three. Let me know, I'll be very happy to pay postage. e-mail me, and I send my address. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!! Deb
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

We've been growing hardy hibiscus for years and over the winter of 1997/1998 the temps got down to -32 degrees, two nights in a row, and all of our hardy hibiscus came back over the winter. Other plants that were hardy to zone 5 did not, but I don't know anyone who lost a hibiscus :)
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Hi, Deb,
I'll let the seeds mature a little more, then let you know when they're ready. Apparently Lord Baltimore is sterile (poor Lady Baltimore!), so I won't have any seeds from that. But the plum and the pink are doing well in the seed production department. I already have one dried pod from the Lady Baltimore (pink), and there weren't as many seeds in there as I thought there would be, but I have quite a few pods.
Nancy
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Nancy, I would love to try some of those purple ones, too! If there is a few extra... I would gladly reimburse you. I also have two beautiful hibiscus...Fireball and Luna Red. Luna Red is a dwarf variety that only gets to about 24". It is deep cranberry and has lots of blooms. I hadn't checked for pods, but if someone is interested in these I check for pods and save them. There was one pod on Luna that had already opened and dumped, but it still had two seeds in it, so I would guess there will be more.

I also have some pink no names I got from a friend that are really beautiful too. I know they set seeds cuz she gave me some of them, too.

Just let me know if anyone wants any...
Charla
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I just saw Karma's post on red hibiscus and she has a pic of Luna Red. Mine is much darker in color, but it could be the light...
Charla
dlabod

Post by dlabod »

Thanks adlesma-- I can't wait to try them. I've always liked them alot, but didn't think they would last with our winters. Eastwood 2007-- I would also love to try your Hibiscus[sp]. The short on sounds great. Wow, can't believe I can have hibiscus. I'm so excited!!!! Thanks- Deb - Let me know what you need to send me some seeds.
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

The purple one is loaded with pods, so shouldn't be any problem getting them to anyone who wants some. I've just picked two dried pods off of my Lady Baltimore, and have a couple more on the plant. They look like really healthy seeds. This is the first time I've tried to get seeds, so I'm excited to see how they do for you!
Nancy
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

What do you do? Start them now indoors, or over winter them or what? Seems like they must take a couple years to bloom, don't they?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I found this on starting perennial seeds:
http://www.perennials.com/seehowto.html?item=11
I've never tried growing these from seeds myself, but I might try it, too.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Some of the pink ones I have were ones that self-sowed at my friends house. She dug up the small starts and brought them. I nearly killed them twice before getting them planted fall of 2005. At that time they were only about 8" tall. They bloomed this year....beautifully, I might add, although the plants aren't very big.

Anyone that wants some of my seeds, just pm me, and tell me which ones you want and your mailing address. They are getting ready to bloom again after the hot, hot weather we had. They have lots of buds on them...
Charla
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Adlesma and Charla. I'll read up and let you know whether I want to try that Charla! Did you grow them inside for a long time first?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply