Rhodo leaves curled and brown :(

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Rhodo leaves curled and brown :(

Post by Pandora »

We replanted part of the front of the house last year and added 3 rhodos in the mix. They are about 3 feet apart and all planted the same. The other 2 are thriving! All bloomed beautifully this year.

The leaf curl started in Sept. I looked for insects or webs and saw nothing. No sign of powdery mildew. I did see some dark tiny stuff (looked like dirt on the back of the leaves). I thought it might be residue from spider mites, so I sprayed with insecticidal soap a couple times.

The leaves drooped a lot after the temp dropped. There are really great buds that have formed for next year.

Do you think it will live? Or is it dead already?

Thanks for any ideas.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Rhodies curl their leaves in cold temperatures. From what I see in the picture, the browning is most likely a reaction to the transplant (moisture imbalance) and the curling from the temps. As long as the twigs are plump, which it looks like they are, the plant is not declining. If the twigs are starting to wrinkle then I would be concerned.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I have to agree here, as when our temps get colder that is exactly what ours do even up under the huge pines that protect them. They also curl up when they dry up to much and that is a lot due to they are fighting the big pines for water so I try to water them regularly. What a world of difference that makes but not to much water.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Kellie & Karma,
Thank you so much for your comments. I was ready to shovel prune it. The only thing that really stopped me was the buds.

Geeze, it took me forever to spray it. I had to unfurl each individual leaf and hold it while spraying with the other hand. Well, at least it gave any bugs a warning. :lol:

You have given me hope for next year.
New Topic Post Reply