Help with Alchemilla mollis

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Myro

Help with Alchemilla mollis

Post by Myro »

Hi,
I have three plants of Alchemilla mollis (Lady's mantle)planted as a flowerbed border on the north side of the border wall, with some afternoon sun. In the spring plants looks lush and beautiful but from mid summer it looks miserable with lots of leaves burn. In the middle of the plants is many rotten leaves looks as it doesn't have enough fresh air. Should I cut off all leaves to the root crown in winter or I will live it as is.
Thanks.
...Spring flowers,autumn moon,
summer breeze,winter snow
-
When the MIND is free
From unnecessary thoughts
Every season is just PERFECT
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I wish I had the option. I once had one, now I'm pulling them out all the time, if they could, they would take over the whole garden.

I wish I'd never introduced this weed to my garden.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
John

Post by John »

These do not survive for me... and I'd really like to grow them. I wonder if some of the leaf burn is from their attractive habit of holding water drops on the leaves?

Will be watching for posts from others...
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I am like Gruntfuttock readdy to send you hundreds :roll:

Mid summer after they have set seeds, they look tired. Good thing :D Time to cut them back and get rid of the seeds.

Then in a few week s they sprout with new good looking leaves.

if you ever want seeds, please send a PM

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
DryGulch

One man's weed...

Post by DryGulch »

Personally, I really like Lady's Mantle. I would think the OP might have it planted a bit too deep. The nicest looking ones I have seen have been planted in clay, which does hold moisture. I have noticed them to be slightly intolerate of the wrong planting depth, and if you observe their growth their stems seem to push them higher, similar to coral bells, which leads the uninitiated in my area to mistakenly refer to them as green coral bells!

I have sand and they are not quite so friendly for me, but do quite well, have a nice formal feel, are left alone by deer and insects and drought tolerant, so here in WI should be a staple.

I personally have not had them self-seed, but some people I know have that problem.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Yip ..... over here you could do anything you like to Ladies Mantle and it will come back fighting :)
We cut it back all the time to keep it tidy. We also have to continually pull out seedlings :(
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Myro

Post by Myro »

Hi people,
Thanks for sharing yours experiences with me. Putting away a pretty lousy shape in autumn I will give it a "second chance" next year. I'll try to cutback all old leaves, to give a young leaves from a middle of the crown chance to show it's best. Dilemma I still have is to cutback now (late fall-hostas like) or in early spring, well before growing season start ( late in winter ).
...Spring flowers,autumn moon,
summer breeze,winter snow
-
When the MIND is free
From unnecessary thoughts
Every season is just PERFECT
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I've also seen them do really well in heavy soil such as clay, especially in a bright but shady spot. I'm wondering if your afternoon sun location is just too hot for them? We grow ours in heavy soil at the edge of the swamp where it does beautifully. They are in open shade so it is fairly bright there but never get any direct sunlight.

It really is a ground cover when it likes where it is at (yes, it can really self seed), but when so many other plants struggle in clay or wet spots this one does fine :)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Yip .... heavy wet clay is what I have plenty of :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Mine are starting to unfurl now. If yours aren't growing fine this spring, the hurry up- send PM's with your adress and we will send you enough seeds to cover half of Croatia :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply