support for tall garden phlox

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

sharon

support for tall garden phlox

Post by sharon »

Anyone have ideas for homemade supports for phlox? I have nine, and while I love them they flop too much even having been pinched. The supports that you buy at garden centers are too expensive. Thanks
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I love phlox! and have several myself. Mine don't flop though -- except one this year that I transplanted while in full bloom (don't know if it likes that. lol!)

My cheap and easy plant supports are almost always just sturdy twigs, dowel rods, bamboo poles, etc. I encircle the plant with them... Some things, like my oregano, I use curved twigs and place them so that they make a sort of tee-pee around the growing plant, and just lash together the top where they all "connect". In general, though, I use something soft and flexible (like acrylic yarn) and run it around the twigs/poles to make a hoop or cage. I hope that makes sense. lol!

I like this technique because it's easy to hide and you can adjust height/width/placement easily. It's sometimes very helpful to have extra hands/arms when encasing a large plant though. :D
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I use the bamboo for the taller stuff, tomatoe cages for the peonies and smaller wire plant stakes that I got at one of those clearing house places.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply