Green-eyed coneflowers and lavender from seed

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

largosmom

Green-eyed coneflowers and lavender from seed

Post by largosmom »

Hi, I'm doing something new this year and trying to start some seed I collected from my garden.

To start out, I lost a couple of lavender plants to drought this summer and thought I might replace them with seeds from the other plants. The variety is Hidcote. I have about 75 seeds, can anyone tell me if they need to be stratified and about when I should get them going for planting in the April-may time-frame? I have a light cart going for my hosta babies, so hope to have enough room.

Same questions for the green-eyed coneflowers, Rudbeckia laciniata. I bought one plant and need some more for the spot in my garden where they are located. Are all the little bits on the "cone" seeds? I picked two cones several weeks ago and they are nice and dry.

Thanks!

Laura
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Laura,

My propagation guidebook says for Lavender to stratify for 4 weeks, cover the seeds lightly and germination will take 2 to 3 weeks at 64 to 72 degrees. Rudbeckia can be planted right away, cover lightly, germination in 5 to 10 days at 68 to 77 degrees.

That must have been quite the drought! Lavender usually likes it dry, in fact we had our best crop last year due to the relative drought we had. But then we had over a foot of rain in late August that rotted them. I guess sometimes you can't win :roll:

Good luck with your seeds.

Chris
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks for looking that up for me, Chris. I bought about 7 plants this spring, and lost two. It was a particularly dry year and everything suffered as I couldn't keep up with the water. The hostas got the most attention, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to replace them and have a few extras to share.

I'm new to stratifying seed too. I just tucked some Japanese Maple seeds into some sand in the fridge, but I used way too much. I will have fun trying to find the seeds later.

Is there a better way?

Laura
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If the seeds are really fine you could try planting them just like you are about to start them but put the cell packs in a bag and in the fridge. Or what are your temps like outside now? You might be able to just sow them outdoors and they could sprout on their own come spring.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Daytime temps range between 40s and 60s at the moment, our norm is usually in the 40s and 50s daytime, and we just got to that this week.

I could just start a few pots out of doors then? I've never done that before. I have about 75 seeds.

Laura
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

largosmom, I'd start them outside now and put them closer to the house with sand over the top of the soil. I do my Lental Roses that way, cooler temps are doing their thing.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I'll give it a try, nothing to lose, right? It's supposed to be in the 50s today, hooray!

Laura
New Topic Post Reply