Mixed Ixia

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Mixed Ixia

Post by LucyGoose »

I am not sure where to put this one, but can you tell me about this one? It is offered in a fund raiser for one of my grandkids...is it hardy here and is it a re-seeder or anything....just tell me what you know..:lol:

Thanks!! 8-)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I just looked it up real quick, and it probably isn't hardy. Looks like about zone 7 hardy, but you might be able to dig them?
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I checked it out too, and it looks really pretty, but is grown only where the ground doesn't freeze, where they have a wet winter. It is not a bulb but a corm (like glads). And glads have to come out in the winter. So while it is probably a good fund raiser for the school, it would have to be used as a house plant.
Attachments
ixia.jpg
ixia.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Char!

Yea, it seems that most that they are offering are not hardy....I think I will have to go with the Star Gazers, or they are offering Hardy Glads, too.....I think I read that they aren't THAT hardy....I don't know....Nice picture!! :P
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I gave Ixia a try here once, in a well-draining spot near the house. It didn't survive the winter.

I'd give it a try again, but I'd do it like I do Oxalis: originally planted in a pot and growing, remove from pot and plant directly in ground after last frost. It grows in-ground all summer. Just before we get a frost, I dig the entire clump and repot it and bring indoors. It grows indoors for awhile, then goes completely dormant (it's almost gone now). I water sparingly all winter, and keep it at normal house temp with my other plants. In spring, it miraculously knows when to start growing again! Then I remove from the pot and plant in-ground. Repeat. :)

Something about Ixia makes me think that this procedure might work -- and be worth the small trouble.

FWIW: ordinary gladiolas will survive most winters here. Tiny bulbils grow everywhere because I like to move my glads around each year. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How did I miss you Chris.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion....I did already order the Glads, and Stargazers....I did like that with my Iron Cross Oxalis in a pot.....I can always add them to my order, I guess...They are pretty.

Thanks everyone!! :cool:
New Topic Post Reply