What sort of Snowdrop?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

What sort of Snowdrop?

Post by Herb »

This has appeared in our garden. We're sure we didn't plant it, so we can't explain how it got there.

Obviously it's some double variety of Snowdrop, but we can't recall seeing one quite like it elsewhere.

Is it likely to have grown from seed? What variety is it?
Attachments
Volunteer snowdrop.jpg
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't know what it might be, but it is really beautiful!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Herb

Post by Herb »

I think we may have the answer - somebody on another forum has suggested it's Galanthus flore pleno.

It certainly looked like that when I Googled it.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Herb, you're frightfully close, and I'm being somewhat pedantic here. More correctly it should be referred to as: G. nivalis f. pleniflorus 'Flore Pleno' and apparently there are 4 different cultivars. Check Wikipedia and towards the bottom of the page you will see all 4 listed, 'Flore Pleno' (not italicized, because it is a cultivar) is the 2nd one down in the list.

Check out Judy's Snowdrops also, for some wonderful snowdrop images and a better appreciation of all the varieties out there, it's really quite amazing....

And, good-on-ya for discovering this in your garden. It's quite possible some bird inadvertently 'dropped' (both senses of the word) it into your garden. We have had our snowdrops appear as 'birdie volunteers' and while I have not done a proper identification, I believe what we have are nivalis and elwisii.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

It is beautiful!

What a lucky find in your garden.....

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply