Caryopteris

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Caryopteris

Post by nanny_56 »

When should I cut this back and how far should I cut it?? I am not sure which type I have. I just know it is not what I ordered last year from another vendor.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I always cut mine when I see new growth coming, that seems to work.
Lucille
John

Post by John »

I used to grow this, but it attracted far too many bees close to the deck. I'd trim it back now, just to shape it, unless there was winter-kill. I saw the famous double hedge of this once at Longwood Gardens in PA, with just a handful of the yellow "crocus" Sternbergia blooming at the same time late in the season, very impressive.

I also like Perovskia, for another feathery blue perennial.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I always wait to see where the new growth appears. If the growth all starts near the ground cut it back that much. If there is growth all over then just shape it how you want it - if you want it to get big just trim it lightly. If you want it to stay more compact trim it hard.

And if it never grows dig it up and pitch it... It seems that a lot of the newer Caryopteris are just not very hardy. I'm done trying them and will just stick with Worcester Gold and Caryopteris divaricata.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks! I found that out about bees last year. So, I have to move this one also as it is right by the sidewalk to the front door! :eek:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I cut it to within an inch or two of the ground as soon as I can work in the garden. Works for me!
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply