Comments about Dianthus Firewitch Pinks?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Rookie_Green_Thumb

Comments about Dianthus Firewitch Pinks?

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

I saw this at a local grower today while out 'scouting' for who has what, etc. Its gorgeous and I would love to put it in our front flower beds..they get direct hot hot sun from about 11:00 am on. And it sounds like this would love those conditions.

Anyone have any experience growing this? The grower said that is will bloom into the early summer, and if I take the weed eater and knock off the top blooms and give it a bit of a trim it will produce blooms later in the summer for me as well?

Just curious if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with this plant. I love the contrast between the bluish foliage and the hot pink flowers.

Thanks!!

Jaime
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I've grown a lot of different dianthus and this is a nice one, however many of them don't seem to last more than a couple seasons here. Definitely likes hot and dry, but every winter mine take a big hit. This last winter it was mostly the deer, but I also had several large patches that were great after 2 winters and then this last winter looks like they may have rotted from all the snow and rain we had.

I would try a couple to see how they do before committing to too many, but I do like them.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Thanks for the advice Chris. I was thinking about buying quite a few and doing it up in the front flower beds. Maybe I'll go ahead and get a handful and consider them like investing in annuals? Im not sure. I love the color and the blue little mounds they make.
Jaime
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Hi ~ I don't have that particular variety, but do grow lots of dianthus. It is one of my favorites. I have had very good results wintering over if I top dress with chicken grit. I've even put the grit around established mat forming plants (other than d.), lifting carefully so as not to damage root attachment, with good results. Still have some die off due to the z 4 winter weather but this is a big help. You might want to try it...
Jeanne
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Thanks for the tip hapygdnr. I am still leaning very much towards getting quite a few and working with them. Figured that its the only way to learn what works well and what I like. :D
Jaime
New Topic Post Reply