Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin' question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Mr. Hanami

Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin' question

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi,
I didn't know where to post this question. I posted this in the JP forum too. I have a full-sun spot around a large rock that I would like to do the karensansui affect. I found a groundcover online called Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin'. It sounds like it would be a perfect substitute for moss. I originally was interested in Corsican mint, but I think Thymus would be a better choice for my spot and zone. Has anyone used it before? Would you recommend planting seeds or plants?
:D

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant ... Elfin.html
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I have this in my rock garden and really like it. The leaves are so tiny it does look like moss from a distance. It spreads nicely, even over rocks, but is not as agressive as the bigger, coarser thymes. I will try to get a picture when I go out today. I would go with plants, especially if you have a large area to cover. I have never tried it from seed though, maybe some else has. Not sure what the "karensansui affect" is... maybe mossy?
Jeanne
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hapygdnr-
I would love to see a picture when you get a chance. Thanks for your help. :D
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I will get a picture for you as soon as the weather/light is better. It has been cold, dark & rainy here the past few days. I won't forget!
Jeanne
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

OK Here are the pictures as promised.
Attachments
Heres my experience with the creeping thyme! You can see how it "spills" over.
Heres my experience with the creeping thyme! You can see how it "spills" over.
Here you can see how it (TSM 'Elfin') actually gets little woody stems and trails down over the rocks. It is not fast spreading and invasive here like its relative creeping thyme. It is still rougher in texture due to being under the snow for the winter a
Here you can see how it (TSM 'Elfin') actually gets little woody stems and trails down over the rocks. It is not fast spreading and invasive here like its relative creeping thyme. It is still rougher in texture due to being under the snow for the winter a
Another patch of 'Elfin'. I haven't "cleaned" (pickd off the stray debris) here yet and it really hasn't begun putting on new growth for this yr. When it does it looks very fresh and mosslike. you can see at the very front a spot of the creeping
Another patch of 'Elfin'. I haven't "cleaned" (pickd off the stray debris) here yet and it really hasn't begun putting on new growth for this yr. When it does it looks very fresh and mosslike. you can see at the very front a spot of the creeping
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

I like it. I really want to try it this year. Thanks for the pics! :D
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
New Topic Post Reply