Wild Clematis?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Wild Clematis?

Post by FreakyCola »

Have you ever had volunteer clematis? The last 2 or 3 years I've found them coming up in different locations. At first I thought it was some I'd bought by the flat really cheap at an end of the year sale and had desperately planted where ever I found an empty patch of ground, but this year there are more & I really don't think I'm the one planting them. I found 7 around one tree! I can't wait to see them bloom!
Ellen
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Freaky!! How ya been?

Is it the sweet autumn clem? They re-seed. :???:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

You have a critter leaving you presents? I was shocked last year to see the scrub Jay attacking my seedpods on a couple of my Clemmies so I had to cover them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

Agree, probable sweet autumn clematis, Clematis paniculata, which will bloom in fall. They also seem to spread underground by runners, and pop up far from the main plant.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not know if you have this sort of weed :evil:

It is a clem... squared in the stalk/ sterm/ branches/ sprouts... you pick the right one :wink: ... flowers are very tiny... but it spred like heck...leaves are dark green

worst thing it prefere to spread in clematis area ...and are hard to see, before it have taken over the area :evil:

Only good thing,,, the flowerstalks are lovely in winter :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I have Autumn Clematis that pretty much stays where it is, I haven't noticed any volunteers.

but....

I also have some 'wild' clematis, that has the same clematis leaves, and sprauling, wandering format. I haven't seen it flower, and it is a pest. It gets into everything and tries to 'vine up' my other plants. Since it is wild, I can't control where I find it. It must bloom to spread, or by underground runners. I just pull it up when I see it. (the leaves are small but look clematis-like. )

CHAR - Michigan
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I have Sweet Autumn Clematis here & it does self-seed around the yard. I try to move them to spots where I want them to be if I discover them soon enough. I've built a walkway arch out of rebar for them to cover & they have covered it very nicely. Have one that climbs the oak tree south of the house. And I've got them going in other places too. I love the look in the autumn when they're in full bloom. And the bees love them too. The arch is so solid with white on the east side that you can barely see any foliage at peak bloom. :D
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Yes I do have Sweet Autumn & I knew it self seeded coz I have found quite a few of them around the original. But these others have different leaves. The President was back there but I don't see the original plant coming up.

My original SA is around my gazebo on the north side. Today I noticed a maybe 1/4" thick vine coming out of the hosta bed on the east side. I don't remember seeing it last year, but for it to be so thick it would have had to be there, right? It's vining up into the wisteria so I can't tell how tall it is.

Speaking of SA, do you guys cut yours to the ground like the instructions say? I never have and mine is gorgeous. It grew 10' up the gazebo, covered the whole thing on all sides then climbed up into the puzzy willow tree which is about 3' away. It looked like a river of white going up in just one part of the tree. Looked so cool, then of course when I went out to take a pic it had passed it's peak. The stem is real thick maybe a couple inches at least. I just hate to cut it back coz it won't grow like that again with my luck.

Char, does that vine you're talking about have tiny purple flowers? There's a weed, I'm thinking it's got potato in the name, and every time I see it I think it's a clematis. I let it go then it flowers & I realize it tricked me again!

Hi Lucy! I've been fine, just busy working & gardening so I don't have much time for computer play. I got out of the habit when it died and just seems I can't get back the time I used to spend on it. I miss ya all though!
Ellen
New Topic Post Reply