Need suggestions for back of the border

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

bixa525

Need suggestions for back of the border

Post by bixa525 »

I need some ideas for a perennial that will grow behind rudbeckia's in a garden at the front of my house in a full sun location in amended clay soil. I love blue colors but it seems most of the blue and lilac perennials don't do well in clay soil. I need something around 30" to 36" tall. Bee balm is one idea but I much prefer a blue or light lilac colored plant. I don't want to stake either. I know, I am asking for alot. Any ideas?
John

Post by John »

How about Perovskia, "Russian Sage"? Or Caryopteris? Both look great with Rudbeckia, and do not require staking.
bixa525

Post by bixa525 »

Love both the russian sage and caryopteris but from what I have heard neither do well in clay soil. Anyone have a good experience with either of these in clay?
mooie

Post by mooie »

Yes I have grown both in heavy clay soil and both grew great. I will add however that the caryopteris grew better than the russian sage. They still thrive after 12 yrs at the farm. Since my daughter in law has possession of them now, I have noticed on my visits that they still keep on lookin good! :D

mooie
~Imagine~
bixa525

Post by bixa525 »

Wow I love both of these. Do you know which variety of caryopteris you grew? Anybody try the smaller version of the russian sage called "Little Spire"?
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Veronicastrum (culver's Root) is about 3-4 feet tall. The native plant has white flowers, but there are blue cultivars. there is also a native plant called Blue Vervain. Lobelias have a blue version, and also some cultivars that are purple or purple-blue. There is always delphinium, which comes in all sorts of dark and light blue, and purple and lavender. All of these get to be 3 feet tall or more, and are full-sun plants. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply