More Hollyhocks

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: More Hollyhocks

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Annie. I didn't think people fed them but I really wasn't sure because I have never grown them myself. The first year I tried they didn't come back in the spring. At least this year they came back. I wintersowed more this year. Maybe the third time is a charm and these will come back and bloom.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Pat, I hit them in spring with one dose of fertilizer (20-20-20) when I see them popping up from their winter nap. Other than that I may water once a week if we don't get rain. The Whites & Red by the mailbox are close to the roses so they also
may have gotten alpha pellets and they this year are huge. I'm thinking that might work for them all. I have a clump just west of the old greenhouse that are thicker than the others and it stays warmer due to being heated all winter in this area.
Hope this helps.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I have some hollyhocks that a friend gave me the seeds in fall 2005 that took 3 years to bloom.I scattered them outside and they came up first in spring 2006. They are just the old fashioned single bloom ones.
When they came up but didn't bloom in 2007, which was their second year I was really disappointed but this year I got the blooms for the first time. She said that was normal.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thank you Karma and Gardentoad. :D I'll try a bit of fertilizer or alfalfa pellets on the new batch in the spring and I'll just be patient with these. I was afraid that if they didn't bloom this year that was it and they would not return next year. It's reassuring to hear that yours bloomed the third year GT.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Pat,
See what happens next year. Maybe they are just slow :lol: :lol: My old fashioned did really well for 4 years, but they did not come back this year and I am not sure why.

Ginger
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Ginger. :D I'll just be patient and see what happens next year.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I love the hollyhocks Pat
one of the prettiest blooms on the plant world
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Beautiful..love them!
Stephanie