Useful color

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Useful color

Post by Herb »

In July, not many of our shrubs have flowers. In this picture there's a sasanqua Camellia at front centre, a Rhododendron 'Etta Burrows' at top left, a tall Cotoneaster at top right & at the back, behind the Camellia, there's a Flowering Currant, but none of them is in flower.

The red flowers are all Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. 'Lucifer' grows quite tall. Its flowers' color is very similar to Etta Burrows Rhododendron flowers and gives a very similar effect.
Attachments
Lucifers.JPG
Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Muffy »

That's very pretty! Love the colors.
Quietly Awesome

Re: Useful color

Post by Quietly Awesome »

Your Lucifer's are quite beautiful, Herb. How long have they been there? I ask, because they are known to die off if not divided about every three years.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Q.A. -

They've been there about 5 years. There were only a few at first but they've multiplied & spread to the point where I think I'll soon have to dig some of them out - my guess is that there are now four times as many as when I planted the first ones.

I hadn't heard about their having a tendency to die off - is it just Lucifers that have that reputation, or is it all varieties of Crocosmia?

Herb
Quietly Awesome

Post by Quietly Awesome »

I think it is just the Lucifer's, Herb. Yours are just beautiful!
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Beautiful!
Stephanie
New Topic Post Reply