Aster Yellows..

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Aster Yellows..

Post by nanny_56 »

Is this the first sign of the dreaded Aster Yellows? This was on my Sunset Echinacea.

Sorry, I had the words flipped the first time around!!
Attachments
DSCF2837 (Small).jpg
DSCF2837 (Small).jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
DryGulch

Hmm...

Post by DryGulch »

Hmmm. That sorta looks like poor pollination. What with the bee shortage, I believe the cones and petals on coneflowers only develop completely correctly when properly pollinated. A county ag agent mentioned it to me as well when we were looking at something similar.

Not sure though. I'd keep checking as new flowers develop. If other flowers earlier and later appear more normal, that might be the problem.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Thank you All have been normal before and since..so far anyway.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Aster Yellows..

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Claudia,

I don't think that is Aster Yellows. It is pretty distinct when an Echinacea (or other plant) has it. Good to keep an eye on them, though, as this virus (and others) have been getting more common in lots of nursery stock. We had a large shipment of Echinacea planned for the spring that didn't show up after the wholesaler tested and discovered that a huge number of their Big Sky echinacea were virus infected. Now we are making sure that the plants we buy are only from tested stock.

If the future flowers come out fine then I think it is okay.
New Topic Post Reply