Sun loving Perenials (Help)

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Sun loving Perenials (Help)

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Its been awhile since I've been on. Got another BAD Hobby. Bunnies and Chickens. But at least what they put out will be good for my Hosta and plants. LOL
The problem I have is the place I have moved to is mostly sun. I have put my hosta where I can and making new places for them also. But I have never gardened in the sun before and have no idea what grows well and puts up with full sun. I would like something that blooms well. So far all I have is Daylilys, a rose, a hollyhock and one echinasea.

Any ideas. The ground is hard and nasty so will be working alot of the bunny droppings into it for awhile. So until I can find perenials to put there I guess I am stuck with marigolds this year. (sigh)

Thanks
Linda
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Sun loving Perenials (Help)

Post by Spider »

Make a grape arbor and plant the hostas under it in the shade the grapes make. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Already have one of those in the plans. Planted a few bushes to add some shade too but there are a few areas that the ground is so bad and so sunny that I wanted to first plant perenials and add to the soils for a few years. As some of the bushes mature more hosta will take their place in the shade. :wink: Need some color in the sunny areas and dont know. I think some coreopsis and a few others. I've been reading and think beebalm might do well there.
Linda

My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

morgansrgr8, there is a lot of sun loving plants from irises to daylilies to callas to hardy perennial hibicus to name a few.
Then there is a whole range of tropicals that one can do from canna to nanna to passie.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

What about shasta daisies, black eyed Susans, mums, snap dragons (tender perennial), verbascum, tall phlox? I also grow paeony, foxglove, delphinium and lupine in full sun and so far, so good.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Ornamental grasses, sedums (stonecrop)...
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

My gosh, there are sooooo many things to choose from...salvia's & agastaches, true lilliums...and lots of things will reseed themselves readily such as cosmos or larkspur and rudbeckia. The list is endless...click on the flowers at the top and checkout what Chris has available. :cool:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Ton's to play with! Phlox.. and boy is it phloxy, Lilies, Sedum's.. Lobellia.. Red Hot Pokers Parcaranda(sp?),.. the sky's the limit. Head over to Chris's online perennial catalog, take a look and shop around.. you'll find lot's of great stuff you can use. I grow alot of things that call for part shade, in full sun... we a lil farther North and don't get too scorching hot heat...
Good luck and have fun!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Got a book from the library. The one with all the pics in it so I know what I am getting. Went out and got Lupine seed to start. I need to go raid my sisters gardens. :beer:

The arbor is going to be put on hold tho. Tom is getting laid off 2-3 weeks a month things are that slow. He's not worried tho. He has his 30 in and if it get to bad he says he will just retire. THEN I GET TO PUT HIM TO WORK Waaaahaaaaaaa
Linda

My Hosta List
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Lupin's are bi-ennial.. What colors did you get?
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I got Russell hybred mixed colors. I didnt realize they were bienial. Oh well good color for next year.
Also picked up alot of herb seeds. I want to have an herb garden. Then we picked up 40 strawberry plants so I guess we have a strawberry patch. LOL

Linda
Linda

My Hosta List
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

That's the attitude I like. Be sure to plant some Lupins next year so that way you have bloom's every year. Also, Lupins have long tap root's so you don't want to be moving them around once they are established.

How about Hollyhock's? They're biennial too but oh so georgous!!!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Well the flower bed is coming along well. Toms sisters have given me lilies and iris. My lupines were doing so well until they cooked one day. Everything I started from seed didnt do well. I am running in to many directions. I had some hollyhocks come up and was given some liatris seed I scattered. Hopefully they will bloom next year. The shasta daisy has to be moved to more sun. That gives me room for another hosta. hehehe. Stonecrop is taking over. Its happy as a bug in a rug. And I found a hardy hibiscus tucked under a lilac bush begging for more sun. Its fun finding flowers tucked in his bushes he had no idea was there. That is also where I found the stonecrop and white nancy. Also do peonies like lots of sun or more shade?
Linda

Forgot to add that the echinasea is as tall as I am.
Linda

My Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I discovered Phlox this year...never grown it before but I think love it!! From what I understand it will reseed and spread. I am also trying Lobelia another sun plant for the first time. Just in case you need more suggestions!! I ried ti grow lots of stuff this from seed to without much luck. :evil:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie

Post by Annie »

peonies like sun :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply