Creeping Phlox?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Creeping Phlox?

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
The creeping phlox I have seem to burn(dry out) through the winter. The parts that are under snow stay green & lush. I have trimmed these burned parts out but they never really seem to recover. These parts are healthy; just burned and don't green up. Usually when I trim something back it will send new growth instantly, this is not the case. It takes the rest of the summer to fill in. When this is trimmed out I lose my blossoms for the entire season.

Anyway how do you treat yours? Anyone trim it back in the fall and still able to get bloom? I have thought of covering the entire plant from the sun, but I am sure the mice will find a home and then there will be nothing.
THanks
Be part of the solution
sue_in_nova_scotia

Re: Creeping Phlox?

Post by sue_in_nova_scotia »

I have noticed the 'winter burn' as well...I think your idea of covering it would reduce or eliminate the winter burn completely. I have never cut mine back but sometimes I sit there and manicure out the dead parts (wayyyyy too much time on my hands obviously).
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

Thanks Sue!,
I too dilly dally cutting out the "dead". Takes too much time. I may next year cover w/ burlap and mice bait hid inside? I guess the spring effect is worth the hassle.
Be part of the solution
sue_in_nova_scotia

Mouse bait? Lol Sorry I have a mental picture of you uncovering your beautiful phlox only to find a mouse morgue....ewwww
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

O.K. what would be your suggestion for the mice? Mouthballs seem to lose their effect outside in the winter.
Be part of the solution
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Mine always get a coat of pin oak leaves in December. I have to uncover them early in March, or they are brown, thin and spindly. I don't know what the solution is, but I am not entirely sure covering them is it.
Any other suggestions?
sue_in_nova_scotia

Hmmm....maybe if you didn't cover untill after the ground freezes. The mice will probably have made little mouse houses elsewhere. Most of my 'plant burn' occurs in March when the winter snows have melted so I dont' think that waiting untill late Dec or Jan would hurt. P.S love the close up hosta photos you posted.!!!!
New Topic Post Reply