Anyone have blue star creeper?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Anyone have blue star creeper?

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I bought a flat of this this evening and want to plant it along one edge of our patio. Is there any way to keep the grass out?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
lazygardner

Re: Anyone have blue star creeper?

Post by lazygardner »

You can try using preen when you plant. It might work and it might not. It stops new seeds from sprouting, but it won't stop the grass that is already growing from spreading into the area by underground runners.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I found a spray product that kills grass, but not other plants. I use it on grass that creeps in and around my good plants. The overspray won't kill the good plants like with Roundup. I don't remember the brand or name of the product. When I go out to the shed later, I'll make a note of it. You can find it at the store with all the other weed killers.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Jane I would love to know what that is. I have so much grass growing with my sunny perennials, you can barely tell it is a perennial bed... it just looks like more lawn! :eek:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Midnight Reiter Too

JaneG, did you find the name of that spray? I sure could use it!
Midnight Reiter Too

lazygardner wrote:Jane I would love to know what that is. I have so much grass growing with my sunny perennials, you can barely tell it is a perennial bed... it just looks like more lawn! :eek:
That's what happened to ours. I hate it.
Midnight Reiter Too

I finally got all the sod out along one side of the patio. That is where they dumped their chunks of cement when I wasn't looking, so I had to get all that out, too. My knee that I had surgery on is so sore that I haven't completed my planting.
Midnight Reiter Too

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I finished planting that flowerbed and I have lots of plants left. I don't know what I'll do with them. Maybe I should extend the bed further out from the patio. It took me a long time to do what I've already done, so I'm not sure I want to do that.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

You could do what we did when we lived in an apartment.
We had a small patio with no dirt around the edges, so there was no planting there.
We took several bags of planting mix and laid them along the edges of the patio. Punched a few holes on the sides and the bottom for drainage.
Flipped them over. Took quart milk containers, poked lots of holes in each and buried them at intervals in the bags, two per bag. Leave the top of the container open because you will be filling them with water to provide water to the plants. Then, we cut x's all over the top of the bag and planted a plant in each hole. By the time the plants got going, the bag was entirely camouflaged and we had banks of color. You could do the same thing or put the bags where you think you want new flower beds. The bags will kill the grass underneath while looking pretty and make it easier to dig the new bed next year.
Just a thought
Glo
Midnight Reiter Too

Thanks for the ideas.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Let us know what you decide. If you have had enough, you could give the plants to a neighbor, or ask if they want to buy the leftovers.
New Topic Post Reply