Lily of the Valley?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Lily of the Valley?

Post by Annie »

What kind of conditions do they like? I know some don't like them, and they grow everywhere, but I don't mind. I lost tons of my stuff last year and my SIL gave me a bunch of these so I could plant this year :)

I've always like the looks of them. Do they die back over summer or will the leaves stay?

Thank you oh so kindly :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
John

Re: Lily of the Valley?

Post by John »

This is one plant that will actually thrive in dry shade. I have several colonies of them under a huge maple tree, and they do very well, remaining attractive most of the summer. Admittedly, better soil and some moisture-- but still shade-- will give you dense, healthy colonies in a short time. The white-flowered ones are most robust, but the pini-flowered, and those with striated foliage are also easy.
newhostaaddict

Re: Lily of the Valley?

Post by newhostaaddict »

they are good growers in dry shade OR full sun here...

BUT....i recommend NOT putting them with anything else...they will eventually choke everything else out...

AND...just try to get rid of them...hmph...they are tough cookies...

jill
New Topic Post Reply