red valerian

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

lindyw
USDA Zone: 5

red valerian

Post by lindyw »

I love red valerian and have planted MANY times. I had success for awhile with one plant but alas, it died also. Can anyone give me any tips on planting areas, etc. for successful overwintering? Hate spending the $$ every year.

Thanks
Midnight Reiter Too

Re: red valerian

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I tried it twice and had no success.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I seem to recall I had it in my garden one summer but I see it no more. A friend has a white flowered valerian which she says grows everywhere in her garden, which tends to be shady, rich and damp. She says it smells wonderful. Wish I could help.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

In England, valerian grows as a weed along roads and byways. A friend in Cornwall asked me why in the world I would ever plant it in a garden, because it just grows rampantly where she lives. I guess it's sort of like geraniums in CA -- they don't get any respect! Phyllis
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

It seems to like it well-draining, somewhat dry. Sort of one of those plants that would much rather be neglected.

Problem is, like granny nanny mentions, once it takes hold it is a nuisance. Will come up everywhere! For that reason, I wouldn't recommend it. You might actually be lucky that it never took for you :eek:
beautifulgardens

Post by beautifulgardens »

Does anyone have any great pointers for keeping these alive? It seems like it takes a lot of work.
New Topic Post Reply