Brunnera on the move!

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

hoosierkitnkat

Brunnera on the move!

Post by hoosierkitnkat »

I have a brunnera that is getting too much sun. I am wondering when is the best time for me to move this.
Thanks in advance,
Maggie
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Brunnera on the move!

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

If it is really struggling right now you could move it to more shade, water at first and then only water when it wilts, though the best time to move them is in the fall, or you can move them in the spring.

When I plant them I bury the crowns about an inch and then mulch them another inch, then I grow them on the dry side. If they are too wet they can rot in the summer, but if the crown is exposed they will dry out in the winter. So I like to grow them in well draining soil and bury them a little.

Hope that helps.

Chris
hoosierkitnkat

Post by hoosierkitnkat »

Thanks Bunches Chris!
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

Chris,One that I put in this summer did well for a while but appears to have gone dormant is that a possibility or more likely died?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

The only time I've seen them go down in the summer was when they rotted away or dried out completely. If they dried out and the crowns aren't exposed (so they would keep drying) then they would come back. If the opposite happened and it rotted away I'm afraid it isn't likely to return. :(

Right now mine are sending out a lot of new foliage since it has been raining on and off and has been really cool for August. But I never give them supplemental water at any time of the year in either of the two spots I have them planted - one is on a slope and the other is in sandy soil.

Then again, if you purchased it from a nursery that was watering and fertilizing them like crazy then it could be possible that they couldn't keep themselves going on their own so went dormant. You could probably poke around to see if the crown is still good, and maybe something will come back later.

Good luck with it.

Chris
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

As always thanks ,Chris.Don't know how you find time to coach us all!
Peter
New Topic Post Reply