Redneck Lupine

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Redneck Lupine

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Actually it is Baptisia australis aka wild blue indigo. Does anyone have this growing in the garden? Do you like it or hate it? I bought one.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Redneck Lupine

Post by Tigger »

I've had absolutely no luck with true lupines. But just yesterday planted 3 baptisia: one ('Blue Pearls') transplanted from elsewhere in the garden where shrubs were swallowing it, and two 'Starlite Prairieblues' (the lighter-colored of the Prairieblues options, I think). We'll see. Deer had already gotten to one or two of the flower spikes on the Blue Pearls. These are on the cold side of our new "Hot and Cold" bed (red daylilies, echinacea and red-leafed perennials on one side, blue flowers and foliage effects on the other—baptisia, echinops, yucca rostrata).
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Re: Redneck Lupine

Post by party_music50 »

There are some clumps of Baptisia growing at the local cemetery and they are beautiful! But they are "in place" forever. The grounds crew there has made several attempts at digging them to move them, and can't make them budge, so I'd chose your planting spot carefully. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply