Few of my gardens

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

homerdog

Few of my gardens

Post by homerdog »

I really like my perennials my sub phlox really grew nice this year.My friend gave us some bulbs 2 years ago At least we thought they were We found that they were jerusalem artichokes.We planted a box full.We planted them in the wrong spot as they grew up through the pavement of our driveway.They are beautiful.I found out that they are eatable.
Attachments
resized.jpg
resized.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
resized2.jpg
resized2.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
resized3.jpg
resized3.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Few of my gardens

Post by Ginger »

Very pretty!

G
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Looks like a nice mixed border. I love using railroad ties for raised beds myself :)

Jerusalem artichoke is a type of Helianthus and yes, it really does get tall so usually needs a spot out on its own. Haven't heard of it growing up through the driveway though. Was that from seeds that spread around do you think? And yes, they are edible, tasting a bit like a spicy potato. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
homerdog

Post by homerdog »

it was the tuber roots that spread through the pavement.There was at least 200 or more tuber roots under each cement block leading to the garage.My hubby dug them up and took them in the woods near our house At least they will not go to waste Might be a good spot for them.Probaly if I went back to the house there still is more cause I don't think anyone could get them all They are nice flowers though
New Topic Post Reply