Unknown arrival

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

viktoria

Unknown arrival

Post by viktoria »

Can anyone put a name on this baby? It arrived last year piggyback on another plant. It is about a foot tall and bloomed nearly all summer. The photo is close to actual size.

Thanks,

Viktoria, drawing a blank...
Attachments
UKYD.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Unknown arrival

Post by govgirl75 »

I can't see the leaves very well and don't know the size of the plant. Is it some kind of ragwort?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Click on the pic to get a larger version. The plant was about a foot tall. I googled for ragwort (Senecio sp.) and I am sure you are right!

For a weed it sure was cheerfully pretty!

Thanks,

Viktoria
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Not all senecio's are weed here. In my old garden I had one or rather several of the same one, who bloomed all spring and early summer, then to diapear for the rest of the year and then back blooming the next one. No spreading, no problems, just a lot of bright yellow flowers. I loved it, but haven't found it in any nursery
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
This guy hitchikes in some nursery plant containers and soil. It has been an incredible nuiscance! :evil: , to say the least. It seems every seed germinates everywhere and anywhere. A few turn into billions, what is worse they can have 3-4 crops a year. :o The cycle from germination to seed seems to only be 3-4 weeks.

I have been using roundup on them before the pods bust open.

Good Luck, Rick
Be part of the solution
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

It hitchhiked in a nursery container to my garden, Rick. Google told me several ragworts are major weeds out west. Where I have it the seeds are likely to land on the lawn or be transported into the hayfield and not likely to create a problem but forewarned is forearmed! Thanks, all, for your input.

Viktoria
New Topic Post Reply