Alliums again

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

largosmom

Alliums again

Post by largosmom »

Hi, I have grown society garlic and chives, but no alliums other than garden onions. If I buy one large bulb, will it multiply well for me or am I better off purchasing a few?

I'm mixing perrenials in with my hostas and I have a sunny section which may do well and I love bulbs. I'd like to have (eventually) a small clump of monster alliums. We had some in our garden in Germany that had obviously been there for several years and I loved the texture of and presence of the flowers and the seed heads alike.

I am looking at either 'Ambassador' or 'Gigantium' or 'globemaster'...does anyone have experience with any of these? I'd like a tightly formed flower clump. Do alliums perform well as cut flowers?

Thanks!

Laura
aka 'Largo's Mom'
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Alliums again

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Laura,

I personally think they do better when you plant a few larger bulbs at once. Tends to make a better showing. I'm not sure how well they do as cut flowers, though. As I'm sure you know, the foliage dies back and they disappear for the summer, so I tuck them in between other plants that will just cover up that spot later in the season.

Hope that helps.

Chris
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

It does help, thanks, Chris, that is what I was looking for.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

We have a new oval "berm" bed with daylilies planted in a staggered row on a long diagonal. We have interplanted Allium schubertii and A. sphaerocephalon (drumstick allium) among them, thinking the flowers will raise above the daylily foliage (before daylily season) and the daylily foliage will hide the fading allium foliage. The flower head of A. schubertii actually does better as single bulbs (they're so big, and not that tall), but we planted the drumsticks in clumps.

The big alliums make great cut flowers (no worries about smell). A. schubertii (and others like A. christophii) are fabulous as dried seed-heads as well.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks, Tigger!
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

I've had alliums in my garden for 4 years. I can tell you that the larger alliums do not multiply as well as the smaller ones.

I wish I could remember which varieties I have. The ones that I got from Home Depot a couple years ago (a dozen bulbs for like $5) are multiplying like crazy. The bigger bulbs don't seem to be multiplying much at all.

Last year at the AHS Convention optional tour, I fell in love with an idea new to me. Once the allium flowers have fallen off and you're left with a bare "globe" (seedhead), you spray paint it in blue/periwinkle/purple and it brings it back to "life" in the garden!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I loved the seedheads on the alliums in our garden in Germany...they would fill your hand with their rubbery seed "nubs"...I love the texture of them. Not sure I'd spray them but what the heck, do what makes you happy! With a really big one, you could use glow in the dark paint and use it to find your way around. :P
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

largosmom wrote:I loved the seedheads on the alliums in our garden in Germany...they would fill your hand with their rubbery seed "nubs"...I love the texture of them. Not sure I'd spray them but what the heck, do what makes you happy! With a really big one, you could use glow in the dark paint and use it to find your way around. :P
LOL. That's funny! :lol:

I found this pic.... I think the blue is a bit obnoxious, but you get the idea. I've also heard of spraying them silver to use in holiday decor. I might have to give that a try after painting them purple!
Image Image

And for someone who really wants to go overboard in the garden:

Perhaps an interesting idea might be to get some aged-bronze colored spray paint... spray 'em, stem included, and they'd look like metal garden art. :eek:
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I am surprised, but those actually look pretty cool! Love the idea of bronze seed heads, a garden needs a sense of humor.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I have used the big ones 3 planted together for years, 3 make 5 to 6 next year here, but at my new home there is a big Special home for menthaly retarded people close by and the plant the big ones one by one with a distance of arms spread ( :hmm: :-? :lol: ) lenght of both arms and it looks so good, but may need a long bed.

:lol: I use them for X-Mas decorations and spray them if I like, but I have never sprayed them in the garden... but it looks good, so who knows :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

To collect bulb division should they be dug when they go dormant and seperated?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

They are hardy and unproblematic here, but you have to check for your zone
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply