Need Groundcover meeting this description:

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Need Groundcover meeting this description:

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

I'm almost done planting out a garden in my front landscape.

I need 1 more plant though (actually 3-5 plants, 1 cultivar). Very low groundcover (not more than 3", since a 4" sprinkler head has to clear it). Needs to be able to take full sun, heat off the asphault driveway, dry out between waterings (rain + every other day irrigation) and mild foot traffic. It's going right where my driveway meets up with the concrete walkway to the front door. It won't get a lot of foot traffic, but it's likely going to get stepped on, especially by our 13 lb dog, small kids and careless adults.

Any ideas?

I think my best solution, thus far is Nepeta 'Little Titch'. I have it in another part of the front garden, also around a sprinkler head, and it's doing great. Not sure about the foot traffic aspect of it though. I've been told to consider thyme, but I know nothing about it.

Sedums are probably not a good idea since the area does get very very wet when it rains or irrigation runs.

TIA,
Melissa
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Re: Need Groundcover meeting this description:

Post by Aud »

Sedum probably would be a good choice you should try some and see how it works out. Sedum is like Hostas. A hosta is shade tolerant but if it gets half day sun most will do good.

Sedum are the same. They do tolerate in a dry area but some do better with water and probably more than you think. I have some in a area that I put half gravel and soil that get very wet it is under the gutter run off area and it is my best sedum area.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I think the plant you're looking for is called "grass." :-?

Other thoughts I had don't grow quite as low as you need. A creeping thyme might work, but needs good drainage. Groundcover perennial geraniums (like Hampshire Purple or Biokovo) are a little tall. A grass-like acorus? (too slow to spread) Maybe the silver variegated liriope or the dwarf mondo grass?

Find a nursery that has one of those "Steppables" displays, and see what strikes your fancy.

David
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

Well, the Stepables idea was where I started (thanks to a suggestion from another garden friend).
I found what I wanted: Trifolium 'Dark Dancer' aka 'Black Clover' aka 'Bronze Dutch Clover'

I ended up finding 3 of them at a local nursery and placed the pots in the spot.
Looked like I had the perfect plant for the spot.
UNTIL
the next morning: sheered completely down.
Apparently the rabbits found it to be the perfect thing for them too.
So, I'm either going to have to find a different solution, or plan on spraying these a lot. UGH.

It's frustrating, cuz I can't even return them now!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
mooie

Post by mooie »

gold moneywort is a very low growing groundcover, takes sun, shade, heat, foot traffic. Of course there is a downside also. It's very vigorous! Meaning you will have to keep an eye on it to keep it where you want it. I use it a lot because I absolutely love spring color.

Teresa
~Imagine~
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

mooie wrote:gold moneywort is a very low growing groundcover, takes sun, shade, heat, foot traffic. Of course there is a downside also. It's very vigorous! Meaning you will have to keep an eye on it to keep it where you want it. I use it a lot because I absolutely love spring color.

Teresa
I have lots of the stuff in the back yard, where it's shady and more moist. I don't think it could handle the heat that the driveway is gonna give off, nor will it handle the drying out that it'll likely have to handle.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

New Topic Post Reply