Daffodills already showing

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Daffodills already showing

Post by oldcoot »

1-25-12-B Outdoor Tulips.jpg
1-25-12 Dafodills - B showing heads.jpg
Seems the warm weather we hae been getting is make making things come up awfully early. OC saw these daffodills showing yeserday when he went out in 63*F weather to get his mail. He also saw these tulips coming up on his back deck in the planter he had shown you earlier. Wonder what happens when we get out usual February SNOW? February is always a bad month for us. Coot :eek: :eek: :eek:
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Daffodills already showing

Post by kHT »

Coot, ours are up also but not as tall as yours. Fall crocus is up and some of the spring are up, Hellebores are up and I have a couple in bud aready. Even the peonies are popping up and the tree peony is showing signs of life, with the roses starting to leaf out?? 50 at noon today after a week snow and rain. Thank goodness we are above normal now!! It was so nice I decided to put the egg shells out early, usually do that the first week of February. I save up my egg shells and crush them to put back into the front garden beds closest to the house due to folks don't understand why this is done.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

My Hellebores look good too, but are in the back of the yard and we have :D :D :D had so much rain I can't get out there to look at them. They are in a raised bed, because that part of the yard is so low and the ground is soggy. Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT

Post by kHT »

That is a good spot for them as they don't like all the sogginess from what I see here. I have ours on higher ground also.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow!!! XOXO
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

Mine are up also. I went out and piled on the evergreen needles. If they come up to early in my area I will not get a good flower show this spring. I keep several bags of the needles every Fall.

We have had some years when they come up early and then get zapped with the cold. Winter is not over and I know it even though we have had a very mild snap.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Aud, that is what pine needles are good for? Heads up my sister in CO just got a good dumping of snow this am.

I'm watching a flock of 6 dozen robins this am in my neighbors Holly tree! That tree is always loaded with bugs and the birds are in and out of that tree all day feeding.
Robbins first then the lowland birds come on and the hug crows come and scare them all off. I have even seen my first flight of eagles, this is way to early!! But a week in
the 50s after the last two storms is a welcome site. Now I'm being treated with all these in the huge pine trees!
Attachments
20120203_6.JPG
20120203_6.JPG (9.49 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply