OC's Elephant Ears

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's Elephant Ears

Post by oldcoot »

06-10-HAL Elephant ears by front door (2).jpg
The Elepahnt ears by OC's fron door are finally beginning to grow. Really nice folliage this year. :D :D :D Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: OC's Elephant Ears

Post by thy »

I love them, I want some, but they all tell me they can not surwive her, ... then when I look up the USDA zones, some have to be possible.. then they say NO
Just can't find them here.. so grow it big and beautiful and them.. please do a pic :D :D :D
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Pia, most here grow it as an annual and then dig it up after the first freeze and store for the winter. They only grow year round in Florida and other States that don't have a regular freeze in the winter. I've had them for yrs.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hmmm How much digging ?

I have problems with my hands and fear they are heavy rooted :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

:D Old coot being honest, he has NEVER dug one up. We are warm enough here that they are considered perennenials. We do cut them down in the fall,but only to aboutg 8" if you cut them lower, they take too long to come back in the spring and don't make it until mid summer.

Old cooot is still in Rock Hill,still having construction problens - This house ha sbeen a nightmare. Glad my daughter and son inlaw are fighting the battle for us. My son unpackw\ed my computer and put it back together for me. So here I am back on line.

Love my Halson family . :D :D :D :D ...........................OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Awesome, we have several but keep them in pots due to having to dig them up in the fall. Yours look great!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply