Astilbes

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Astilbes

Post by boops »

Anyone have a problem with something eating the plumes off your Astilbes? Two of mine now have skeletons instead of plumes. Foliage not touched.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: Astilbes

Post by Bob Scott »

Only the veins of the leaf left?
Japanese beetles will do that. I'm fighting them big time this year.
Some years they pick out one or two types of plants. This year I'm picking them off most everything.
boops

Post by boops »

Ut oh-I hope its not them. Rabbits I can control-Now I have to get something for them. :eek:
My Hosta List

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I've only had deer eat my astilbe before, even though they are always listed are deer proof, but they ate them pretty much down to the ground. I'm not sure who else would find them attractive. I don't think Japanese beetles would completely eat every last bud though - I think you would have to see them there a lot, so I really don't know :hmm: Sounds like a larger critter, like rabbits or something of that order...
boops

Post by boops »

Rabbits I would believe because I check my plants nearly every day and I never see Japanese Beetles on anything. I threw garlic cloves around the rest of them-usually keeps the rabbits at bay. I only get maybe 1 or 2 in my yard, but here and there I do get Possums. I am also thinking maybe caterpillars, but again haven't seen any on them. I'll keep an eye out for rabbits. Thanks
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply