Daisies - how much to deadhead

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Daisies - how much to deadhead

Post by jerryshenk »

We got some daisies from a friend last fall. They're doing well...in fact, they look like they've been there for years. My wife would like to see them expand. So, should we deadhead or does that keep them from dropping seed and expanding? And, if we do want to leave some go to seed, is it better to leave a couple of the early ones go to seed and then deadhead the rest.

On a related note, do birds like the seeds? In particular, Black-Eyed Susans seem to be quite popular with goldfinches so I've left them go to seed just to get the goldfinches to come around.
DSC_20090808_125428_female_gf by jerryshenk, on Flickr
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Daisies - how much to deadhead

Post by kHT »

Jerry, I have the double daisy and I just cut them back when they are done. They have spread like crazy, my small 6 inch pot is now 5 feet across and that deep.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I cut the stems back just to the next leaf node. More flowers will sometimes branch out from the next set of leaves down on the flower stalk.

If you just want your current clump to get larger, don't worry, it will spread. If you want more leave only a few flowers to go to seed. I don't think it really matters when you do that, but if you want maximum flowers deadhead all the early ones and then leave a few of the older ones to go to seed.

I think some birds will eat the seeds, either off the plants or after they've scattered.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

This is my first year for daises at this house but I can tell you that the goldfinches LOVE my annual zinnias. They rip them apart even before they start drying out.
New Topic Post Reply