Moving daffodils - is a missed year flowering common?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Moving daffodils - is a missed year flowering common?

Post by jerryshenk »

About 3 years ago (2010), we moved to a new place..well, new for us but it's 45 years old. I htink most of the flowers were probably planted sometime around then or at least in the first 10-20 years after that. Let's just say they're mature;)

The subject at hand is daffodils - there were a number of bunches of weakly flowering (if at all) daffodils. I took one area and dug them up in early July. At that point, they had all died back. I ended up with 80 bulbs, 20 larger than a quarter, some smaller than a dime. I planted them right away in three groupings along the road between some large evergreen trees. There were already clumps of daylilies there but I wanted something for early spring. I think now that perhaps planting them under the pine trees may not have been the best move but, that's where they are;) The first year after moving the bulbs (2012), they all came up but no flowers. This year, it looks like we're going to have 4 flowers - I was hoping for 80 but, perhaps that's not realistic. Question: Is it normal to have no flowers for 2 years for overcramped bulbs or should I fertilize them to help them out because of the evergreens?

This year, I plan to do the same thing for a couple other bunches (150 bulbs perhaps) except this time, I'm going to "naturalize" a south-facing bank area. This area also has some tree cover (everyplace here does) but it's a Chestnut tree.

The bunch in the lower left of this picture is where the 80 bulbs that were moved in 2011 came from:
DSC_20110406_110058 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

I believe they are Dutch Master Daffodils - does that seem reasonable? Notice how there really aren't many flowers...too cramped I believe. Don't have a better picture (yet;):
DSC_20120329_152634 by jerryshenk, on Flickr
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Moving daffodils - is a missed year flowering common?

Post by thy »

Have to split it in 2 parts :D

1 ) You moved them after they were died back, it is equal to have them on the old spot. They did not grow at all

2) So now you have 20 flowering bulbs and 60 still too smal to flower this year... they have only collected resourses from last year... Next year they will be 2 years old and I expect you will see more flowers from them if the bulbs have reach mature size

You have flowering daffodils now, so now or with in the next weeks you have to split and move the old clumbs, that way you give them the change for collecting energy for next year- do not cot the leaves. Bulbs get the energy needed for next years flowering, at the time they die back
So yes give them a little fertilizer when they start to go down

Hope this helped... or someone will translate it :lol:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

So, with the ones that I plan to split this year, should I'll just do it now for the clumps that aren't flowering at all and immediately after the flowers fade for the clumps that do have a few flowers. Thanks.

How long does it take for daffodil bulbs to mature (assuming adequate space and nutrients)?
thy

Post by thy »

It would be fine :D

I do not know how many years it takes from a tiny bulb to a mature one, 3 years or so I think, but only think

Pia
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

Well, I split some this weekend...took a small clump that didn't have any flowers or buds. It was clump that was farthest away from the walk (into the yard). I'm guessing it had been consistently mowed over by the former owner. I was suprised to find that there were 32 bulbs. I decided to move them early (now, before the foliage starts to die back) so that the bulbs will have plenty of time to recharge.

I dug very deep (full shovel depth...about a foot) and carefully separated them by hand and with water to avoid root damage. Then I planted them in a few areas that could use some spring color. I used a bulb planter and put the largest bulbs in by themselves and small bulbs one on each side of the hole. In the bottom of the hole I put a little bonemeal. I know there is some question about it's value...I think long-term, it might help. Then I filled the hold with a 50/50 mix of dirt and compost to provide a little extra long-term nutriants. I should have mixed some fireplace ashes in too...just thought of that today.

Now I just need to update my documentation so that I can remember how/when I moved these in a year or two when they bloom or delay blooming;) I assume they will eventually bloom.
thy

Post by thy »

Sounds good, very good :D

Bonemeal is great only problem is dogs :wink:
New Topic Post Reply