Your Favorite Cranesbill

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter

Your Favorite Cranesbill

Post by Midnight Reiter »

What's your favorite cranesbill(hardy geranium)? My favorite would be Midnight Reiter if I could make it grow. Because mine all died, my favorite is New Hampshire Purple because that grows better than any others that I've planted. It's gorgeous
I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.
~Robert Brault

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Your Favorite Cranesbill

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I really do like Midnight Reiter, but it does need a dry area to thrive and if you ever move it, don't EVER water it. They rot really easily when moved if watered. Instead I just trim back the foliage, even in the middle of the summer, replant and they take off. When I've tried moving and watering them they died almost instantly.

My favorite, though, is probably Geranium sanguineum var striatum. It is lower growing than NHP and makes a great border. Flowers a lot through the summer too.
Pattyw5
USDA Zone: zone5a

Post by Pattyw5 »

I have a few that I like. Starting with Brookside,Orion and Rosanne all with the same growth habits. I now grow them with roses and it works great during JB season the geraniums are blooming up a storm while the JBs are eating the roses. Then by early fall the roses are blooming up a storm again. My Brookside purchased many years ago has always been different than Rosanne in that the flower color is much bluer and flower petals are gaped.Orion appears as the bluest. I agree New Hampshire pruple is beautiful. Also have the geranium Chris mentioned it's been a great clumper. Healthy plant, pretty flower and so far slow spreader all others are too new to comment on yet.
Midnight Reiter

Post by Midnight Reiter »

I get it! I should have planted them in my arid spot around the mailbox. Too late now. They're gone.

I have geranium sanguineum but it didn't spread prolifically like the New Hampshire purple.
I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.
~Robert Brault

paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Karmina is a good one, it stays compact and doesn't get straggly....and critters leave it alone.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
New Topic Post Reply