Lambs ear

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

kidzdad

Lambs ear

Post by kidzdad »

anyone ever grow any lambs ear. I got a couple of plants and I am wondering how they are at growing. :D
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

***snicker, snicker, snicker*** ummm...I think you'll find them to be one of your less challenging garden plants. ***snort, snicker, snort*** :lol:

Sorry, Just playing with you. Lamb's ear grows very well as long as it's not kept wet. In fact it can be fairly invasive. Just be sure to snip off the flowers before they go to seed. Sure is soft and pretty though.
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

:eek: Gee, you really sound encouraging!! I do like the leaves, thats why I planted it. I don't know how well it will do because it has been out of the ground for a couple of days now. I just planted it and soaked the roots with starter fertilizer. Unfortunately, I didn't get it with a clump of dirt, it was basically dry rooted. :(
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Kidzdad- Although lambs ear does kind of spread about, it is very easy to control. You can be pretty brutal with the plant and just rip out part of it if it gets too big for your growing space. It IS pretty, isn't it? :D
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I have lamb's ear used as a garden border in one of my gardens; it's pretty, but invasive! Easy to control by just chopping about half off every other year!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197 ... oJbKwzkjAc

http://community.webshots.com/photo/405 ... 5843HERAQs

I cut the flowers in the spring and hang 'em to dry....beautiful in dried arrangements! Also, made some wonderful little "bows" on an herbal Christmas tree one year;

used 5 leaves for each bow....two "loops" (with a ball of
cotton inside each to hold up until dried)....two "tails"
hanging down, and the last leaf wrapping around the
middle to hide center. Really cute!......p :wink:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC has a question ??

Post by oldcoot »

Well you told him to ask. Looking at your pictures it seems you have Lamb's ear in the shade. OC 's are in partial sun,
but in mid summer, bake. OC though it was deag, but a week of rain and it is back full and pretty. Will it grow in complete shade ? Like in front of Hosta about a foot away ? OC has two borders that need SOMETHING in them, and he does like the fuzzy leaves.. Though He might moved ONE of the patches he has that is in full sun year round to that spot....

That Old Coot Named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

John....That particular border is on the east side of those large hemlock trees. They get partial shade in the a.m., but full sun most of the day. The Hosta garden at the end is always full shade; although the lamb's ear DO grow there, they are nowhere as full as the rest.

Sometimes, I just cut away some from the full sun and stick 'em in the ground where I want it fuller in the shade.....usually works!

If you want some in the Spring....let me know. It'll be time for trimmin'! Last time, I just threw a large amount of dug up lamb's ear on a sheet and put out by the road with a "FREE" sign....it all dissappeared!.....p :wink:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Thatg would be terrfific

Post by oldcoot »

But ou'll have to remember it. OC 's mind is fading fast...
Be happy to pay handling and postage !! John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

A good variety to grow is "Helene Von Stein". Leaves are probably twice as big. More heat and humidity resistant. And no flowers to contend with (which for some is a big plus). And not as invasive.

Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
impatience

Post by impatience »

It must be really happy here. I have dragged it out by the cart-full for the past three years. it is now growing in the bermuda and the only reason it isn't spreading faster is because it gets mowed.

:roll:
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
New Topic Post Reply