Killing grass in established beds

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

nimblewill

Killing grass in established beds

Post by nimblewill »

In another thread, Old Coot discussed his problem with grass in his iris bed. O.C., there may be a better approach than Roundup. A local grower of daylilies says he uses Fusilade to kill grass in his daylily beds. Fusilade and similar products kill grassy weeds, but not ornamentals. Some of these products are, I believe, also registered for use on vegetable crops. The bad news is that Fusilade is sold in large volumes, so that the cost is excessive for the home user. The good news is that Ortho Grass-B-Gon appears to have the same active ingredient and comes in affordable volumes. This web site briefly discusses these products: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plan ... sscon.html

I don't have any experience with any of these products (yet), but probably will after this summer. Has anyone here used them? O.C., I don't know if Grass-B-Gon is OK for use on your type of irises - check the label.
Bill

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Thanks for the information, Bill. I'm sure many of us will have to check it out. I know I will! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

I have tried a grass killer that is safe around most ornamentals. I go it at Home Depot and it worked OK. I think I did damage some of my flowers but for the most part my flowers were OK. I think it is an Ortho product. 8-)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Thaznksx dev everybody

Post by oldcoot »

OC had his grass pulled by hand this year, and he can not afford to do that next year. Had a real bad experience with Roundup on his Iris, lost almostg all of one bed. Will see what I can get next Spring. Got a Coupond for some much that had Corn GLuten in it, from Lowes. Said that would kill weeds if applied in the fall. Going to pick up my 5 pounds trial sample next week and try it on one small bed. Can't remember the name right now, but when I get it I'll let you know the name and the cost. That Old Coot named John saying THANK YOU again..
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

OC, what is the name of the mulch? I may want to try some next year.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

I looked up the name for you.

Post by oldcoot »

It is called SUPERSOIL, Habit Gardening Supr Mulch Didn't have a MFG, just the gift certificate. Maybe it will have it when I get it.. John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Corn gluten meal by itself won't kill established weeds but works great at inhibiting those pesky weed seeds in the soil, plus it's a mild organic fertilizer. Farm & feed stores sell 50# bags for about 9 bucks.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply