Questions about manure ?

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Questions about manure ?

Post by wishiwere »

Hey all~

I found a farmer freind that said I could get some from his pile, but now another friend told dh he did this and fought weeds bad. I thought if it had been a hot pile and you dug down to get the good and hot stuff that the seeds were killed? I am thinking perhaps this guy dug off the fresh stuff.

Am I wrong or is this freind wrong?

Thanks. BTW..........what's the best manure info? From animals that don't 'free reign<sp?>'? Is that the word, where they don't eat out in the fields?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jane, you have the right idea. Cows and horses that are pastured produce a lot more weed seeds, in addition to the air borne seeds the wind may carry into the pile. If this product is put straight into a garden, weeds flourish. Barnyard manure should always be composted lst.

I collect bedding from a riding stable. selecting the darkest stuff I can find, then compost it with leaves and grass clippings until all the ingredients are no longer recognizable.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, so I am putting in a new veggie garden this spring. I'm weeding it now. What amendments should I do to soil that is sandy and dry beside peat moss? There will be some perennials of course and I can pocket those as they'll stay in one spot. But what should I do to the sandy soil to improve it for this year? It's 25 X 25 and I'd hate to have buy bags of composted manure. I have some compost but not near enough :(
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It takes years of amending to make a good garden soil, but you can start now. Get whatever you can locally that's cheap or free. Municipal yard waste, neighborhood yard sweepings, spoiled hay, landscaper waste? Lay it over the soil and let it compost in place. Plant thru it, don't till. Enrich the planting holes with the compost you have. I think Chris gets compost from Lansing by the truckload. Is that near you?

Mary Ann, who doesn't have sandy soil or a veggie garden. :-?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

No, he's about 2 or 2 1/2 hours from here :( Probably a good thing, or I'd be over there too often! :D

I'll have to call around and see what I can find as cheap as possible. We're rural, so........hmmmmm...have to see, thanks :)
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

I use a lot of fairly well composted horse manure, as I have a horse stable about 2 miles (or less) down the road from me. I just pile it on top of my hosta beds and use a narrow rake every week to turn over the weeds before they get large enough to root in well. After about 4 weeks, most of the weed seed population has been adequately thinned. My older beds are a little more problematic, as I have not yet piled on the manure there to make it easy enough to rake out the weeds.

Tony Avent indicated that he uses a similar method of eliminating weed seeds by prepping beds with lots of manure, then tilling 3 times at 1 week intervals, then planting. He indicated that this virtually eliminates the base of weed seeds that might be present.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

That's what I am doing now, tilling, raking out the worse of it, waiting a week and tilling and raking out again. But haven't amended yet, as this was a field and don't want to waste the amendments getting thrown out with the weeds.

I did use roundup the other day, hate to do it, but with this grass, it's impossible to get rid off sometimes, so a little help I hope.

Thanks for everyone's help. All is welcomed :)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

spent mushroom compost can be cheap or free and makes a very good additive :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well now, just where would I begin to look for that?
janet

Post by janet »

You didn't mention the source of the manure, Jane. Cow, horse, etc. Manure from rumanants (animals that chew their cuds and have multiple stomachs...cows, goats, sheep...camels, llama :wink: ) will have fewer weed seeds since the stomach contents are processed more times than grazers like horses. Aging (at least six months) and composting manures is more to prevent the burning of plants from the ammonia content than to reduce the weed production. Also, pathogens are an issue when using manure in a vegetable garden, as most home composting methods do not get hot enough, for long enough, to kill them. Composted plant material is a much better choice for veggies.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Jane ... surely there is someone who grows mushrooms comercially near you?
If not ... I can send you some :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Sure Sam, about how many yards you willing to ship to over here! :lol:

Thanks, I'll look and ask around, don't know anyone, b/c everyone i know just goes out mushrooming this time of year for their years supply :)
New Topic Post Reply