Planting bulbs upside down

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

kidzdad

Planting bulbs upside down

Post by kidzdad »

I accidentally planted tulip bulbs and grape hyacinth bulbs upside down (oops!). I have read that tulip bulbs will still grow but a little slower. However, what about hyacinth bulbs?? I hope I don't have to dig them all up! Any help would be greatly appreciated :o
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I don't wish to sound cruel, but with any luck they'll die.

I have spent the last ten years trying to irradicate the damn things from my garden. The worst thing about grape hyacinths is the leaves. They grow in the autumn and flop over all winter looking like grass and like you haven't bothered to weed your beds. They just make the place look untidy.

Then they build a crescent of tiny bulbs all around the main bulb which are so difficult to see when digging the rotten things up.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

:lol: Hmm, me thinks someone doesn't like grape hyacinths? ;)

I think your grape hyacinths will be fine. They multiply so quickly I don't think you'll have any trouble.
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

I think you're right, Chris. Hopefully I won't feel the same because I think they look really cool! :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC has never had a problem with them

Post by oldcoot »

In fact he just planted a dozen in a pot on his deck. Put them up high hoping to make pictures of them without having to bend over. (Ho-Ho_Ho, he has had ENOUGH falls this year, doesn't want to start out the next year the same way.)

I've never had any problems with summer folliage. They just burn right up our 100* heat right along with the Hosta and the Liliums....OC's big problems is to keep the squirrel from digging them up the first year. after that, they don't seem to bothers them. Now TULIPS and Liliums, will dig up any they can. Planted my TUlips this year (the ones in the yard) a good 6" deep. Haven't seem to bother then YET. Sure hope to have some pretty Tulip pictures next spring.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

I love tulips (I'm 3/4 dutch) so I hope they come up nicely! :)
New Topic Post Reply