Upside down tomatos

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

kidzdad

Upside down tomatos

Post by kidzdad »

Has anyone ever tried growing upside down tomatos before? I am thinking about trying it this year but want to know if it really works good.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Do you plant them in the rain gutters?? :lol:
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:lol: Thanks Mary Ann! I've been trying to figure out an answer to that one. :lol:
C'mon Kidzdad! What'sa upside down mater? :hmm: :wink:
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

These things are real! You plant them in a 5 gallon bucket and hang them upside down. The advantages are that you don't have to worry so much about bugs, they grow better, you can hang them so the plants are about chest high making it easier to harvest and tend the plant. If you don't believe me, go to Google and type in upside down tomatoes. It should come up with many results. I have never tried them but I would like to! :P
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Yes! My friend's husband planted their tomatoes upside down in 5 gal. buckets this year. He hung them off a little arbor they have. His name is Terry so Deb called it the terryola. :lol:
They grew just fine and they had a pretty good crop considering the drought we had this summer. It was pretty ingeneous. wish I had a picture.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Kinda like a hanging plant from what you describe. Makes sense because many tomatoes are a naturally vining plant. Gonna have to try that one. :wink:
kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

See. I told ya!! When you hand it though, make sure the you hang it on is good and strong! :D
Motacrazy

upside down maters

Post by Motacrazy »

I bought two online of the ready-to-go UD growing dealio's this year. Gave one to my sister who planted two Maters in hers and planted it from a tree limb (amateur,) didn't get enough (any) sun, but the vines did very well.....

I put one cherry and one beefsteak plant in mine and got so many cherries, I couldn't give enough away. The beefsteaks did ok. We are still eating cherries, but the frost has been hitting us the last two nights, and I prob won't bring them in, so we're just about done....
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living,"
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." Thoreau
Motacrazy

one more thing

Post by Motacrazy »

Whatever you use, make sure you give it wire/line that the vines can wrap on and/or tie them up so they grow up rather than hang.
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living,"
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." Thoreau
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Is it a plant or a system? I don't get it. :hmm:
My Hosta List

kidzdad

Post by kidzdad »

Check out this link and I think you will understand much better! :D
http://www.oldfashionedliving.com/tomato2.html
Motacrazy

upside down maters

Post by Motacrazy »

This is the same KIND that I have, but not where I ordered them from. I don't remember what site I ordered mine from, but I know I found that ad in a mag.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/totuupdotofl.html
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for the links, guys. It seems that they would need nutrient-charged water often. My tomatoes in whisky barrels have done poorly, always thirsty.
My Hosta List

Motacrazy

h20

Post by Motacrazy »

Yes, they were certainly thirsty. I had two plants in one, so they really soaked it up when it got hot out. All in all, i'll use them again, but TRY and remember to keep my hose close.
New Topic Post Reply