Moss growing in dirt instead of grass.

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Justme

Moss growing in dirt instead of grass.

Post by Justme »

Now what do I need to do about it? I remember someone saying something about what to do to your dirt, add??? if you had moss growing. I am thinking about expanding my shade/hosta beds into where grass isn't growing, but I do have moss.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Moss and hosta is a beautious combination if you ask me.... I just love that velvety texture as a ground cover under the luscious leaves.

If you really hate the moss... I'll send a SASB to you and send it all to me! I have tons of places I want it growing!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Motacrazy

picture

Post by Motacrazy »

Do you have any pictures of it? I've been wanting to plant some in part of my shade garden as well and I'm trying to figure out which one to go w/. Unfortunately mine stays rather dry so I believe i'll be limited in my choices from the looks of it. I know that isn't what you are looking for, but I'd like to see what 'problem' you have and how it looks. :) Thanks.
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living,"
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." Thoreau
bengal

Post by bengal »

You're very lucky to have moss IMO. As Alexa said, a lovely combo. Gives the garden a feeling of serenity, and the moss is the perfect foil for hostas, ferns etc etc etc. I can't come up with any reason to get rid of it. Plant your shade plants and enjoy! ('Course, if you do decide you hate it, send it on my way....I'm her neighbor, so I'll be nice and give Alexa a piece or two :wink:)

Book to check out -- Moss Gardening, by George Schenk, published by Timber Press. Note to self: time to reread that one!
New Topic Post Reply