anyone else do rabbit doo?

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

wingnut

anyone else do rabbit doo?

Post by wingnut »

I was just wondering? Whenever I dump their pans there is also urine in them and wondered how I deal with that? Also does anyone use rabbit poo in their gardens?
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

My sister and her husband have about thirty rabbits exclusively for the manure and they use it on the beds all the time, urine and all.
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

I see this post is over a year old, but, I do! I get rabbit manure and urine soaked bedding (hay, straw, sawdust pellets) all mixed together, from the people who run the local chapter of the House Rabbit Society. I use it as is. I put it all over the garden in the fall, and in the spring I stir it in a little and pick out anything big that didn't decompose and throw it in the compost.

Later in spring, after plants are half a foot tall or so, I'll side dress them with just manure and shavings that I sort of sift out of the bags of stuff as I go. The urine is fine, never a problem with it.
You never know what the past will bring.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I always find rabbit doo-doo piles all over the gardens in spring from the winter, and just rake it in as it lays. Between the snow and spring rains, it's great fertilizer :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
gamekeeper

Re: anyone else do rabbit doo?

Post by gamekeeper »

Rabbit dropping are one of the better manures for composting I compost any droppings I can find and we have a dog kennel and we get plenty of manure from that but mixed in the pile and plenty of red wigglers and it breaks down nicely.
Peter
New Topic Post Reply