Breaking up your fallow ground...

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Breaking up your fallow ground...

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I wanted DH to buy a tiller so he'd stop borrowing from our neighbor. Now I'd never really known anything about tillers, but we went to Lowe's and priced them. We came home with a little cultivator. *Slaps self in head!* How is a cultivator supposed to do the job of a tiller? Well, for all you experienced gardeners out there, it just doesn't do the job, does it? So DH tilled the 20' x 20' square and I raked as many loose clumps of grass out as I could and discarded them. There was still grass growing in there. He tilled again, I raked again, and we still have grass in there. We're doing things organically. But now we have three days of steady rain and the grass that's there continues to grow. :( DH is disabled and I have spinal stenosis. This isn't going to be easy. We don't have money for a tiller because DH just replaced the old Craftsman riding mower with a nice John Deere one. Where are those elves that helped the shoemaker?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The Lasagna method is a better way. Here you go . . . .

viewtopic.php?t=33042&highlight=lasagna
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Midnight Reiter, you should of sprayed Round Up before cultivating it. It would of killed the grass and then cultivation would of been easier. You now like Mary Ann said to put paper down and start your lasagna layers if you have extra soils, leaves and compost. That is what we did to create our brug gardens out back. I know when my DH got his troybuilt tiller he loved to till and till and till and till some more.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Yep you should have removed the grass first.
I tried to till up some ground once, many many years ago. I left the grass, it grew back :lol:
It was a mess LOL. That was a lesson I learned because I was just to tired that day to just remove it hehe. I think I like the idea of doing it that Lasagna method way!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply