Black Walnut Leaves

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Black Walnut Leaves

Post by nanny_56 »

Are these bad to use in leaf mulch? Our neighbor has a couple right next to the property line.This guy is so nice. We are going in together to make a bed out by the road. It will feature butterfly bushes and ornamental grass and other things to be decided on next spring!
Last edited by nanny_56 on Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I've used it, but I mixed it with other leaves too. I was told it was the roots of walnut trees that keep other plants from growing.

Once I was given some walnuts that I had to take the husks off of them. I saved the husks and put it all in my veggie garden. Then someone told me that nothing would grow there about 2 weeks after I dumped it in the garden. It wasn't true. My veggies grew there the same as they always did.

Here's a link:
http://www.citynews.ca/blogs/frankieflowers_11590.aspx
Last edited by Gardentoad on Sep 20, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I've studied alot on walnut 'parts' cuz I have all walnuts around the house. I haven't tried this, but reportedly walnut leaves, when composted, become non-toxic. Walnut anythings will kill especially tomatoes and peppers and such in the same family. I have tried that...before I knew. One year I had beautiful tomato plants in my greenhouse, and mulched with grass clippings that had leaves etc. in them. The tomato plants immediately began to turn yellow, and didn't produce very well. I thought it was just the grass clippings so I didn't put anymore on. If I had, it probably would have killed them....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks guys!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
viktoria

Re: Black Walnut Leaves

Post by viktoria »

It is my understanding that primarily ericaceous plants (rhodos, azaleas, heaths, heathers and the like) are affected by juglone, which is what black walnuts emit. I have a small grove of black walnuts (a couple dozen) in my yard. There is all kinds of plant material growing under them, including hostas, and all are thriving. I remove neither leaves nor nuts. I started planting the area a dozen or more years ago so if anything was going to be affected, it surely would have croaked by now.

The pics below are from two years ago.

Viktoria
Attachments
UnderWalnuts.JPG
UnderWalnuts2.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I'm glad this topic floated back to the top...
After admiring my hostas earlier this year, my neighbor decided to plant more for herself. She just told me that they're doing lousy (very spindly), and I noted that she planted them at the back corner of her lot -- a spot that's beneath the canopy of another neighbor's black walnut tree. I had read many times that black walnut roots would inhibit plant growth, so I suspect that is her problem.

Viktoria -- black walnuts can be used to make a great natural dye/stain! I remember you once saying that you wanted to learn to weave baskets, so you'll be happy to have your own supply if you decide to make some. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

party-music, while black walnuts can have an effect on some plants, hostas are ones that can definitely be grown successfully under walnut trees. All my hostas grow under black walnut trees.

There must be another problem with your neighbor's hostas....my first guess would be the soil they are growing in.
Charla
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yep, the hostas will be fine. Walnut trees are great for underplanting with hostas because the walnut roots grown DOWN, rather than at the surface where they would compete with hostas. Walnut trees are WAY better than those doggone maples!!!

But like others have mentioned, the roots of walnut do release juglone, which is toxic to some plants. Don't put your veggie garden under a walnut. If you goggle "Juglone" or "Walnut tree toxicity" you will find lots of reference material with lists of good and bad plants for under walnut. Your local extension office probably has a list.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

And if you turn it into shavings make sure it stays FAR away from horses. Walnut toxins cause severe founder (laminitis, swelling of the feet) in horses. Rotation of the bones of the foot leads to the horse being put to sleep.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I have one small (about 6" dia.) walnut tree and I havn't planted under it. It is an english walnut that is grafted onto a black walnut rootstock.
How close to the base can I plant hostas?
It won't hurt the tree to dig around the roots?

I haven't planted a new hosta bed in years. :D
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Gardentoad, I plant my hostas right up under the walnut trees. As long as there is enough soil for the hosta to grow, the tree roots don't present a problem.

I have accidentally planted some too close to be able to send roots deeply enough, and while they didn't die, they didn't thrive, either, and I had to move them.
Charla
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Old post I know but I've compost walnut leaves and now LOTS of walnut sawdust form my wood working shop. Never had a problem.
New Topic Post Reply