Fungi growing on buried roots

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Francine

Fungi growing on buried roots

Post by Francine »

Fungi growing on buried wood
My very large hackberry tree died. We get ink cap fungi growing up through the dirt where ever there was a-is a rotted root.
We are digging up the stump and the roots. Can I used the soil again--it has pieces of rotted wood in it-- in my new flowerbeds, or will the fungi come back.
This is very nasty stuff. Comes up in a mass and turns black and smells like decomposing animals!
Help!
Thanks, Francine
eastwood2007

Re: Fungi growing on buried roots

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Francine -

I was curious, so I just Googled it....it talks about it being mushrooms? Is that what you have? If so, it seems to me they are only growing because of/on the decayed wood and probably wouldn't affect anything else. It says they are actually edible as long as you don't mix them with alcohol.

Maybe someone will post who is familiar with them...

Good luck!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Francine

Re: Fungi growing on buried roots

Post by Francine »

Yes, they are definitely mushrooms. The problem is that the roots in the dirt are so decomposed that it is hard to separate them from the dirt. So If I plant in that dirt, plus the bits of rotted roots, will the mushrooms come up in a new position. WE are talking about a tree stump 5 foot across and root spread of 10 feet so therefore, lots of good dirt going to waste . These are quite agressive fungi! They can actually push plants out of the ground--Such as Guara and Bellflowers! Such a nuisance!
Thanks,
Francine
New Topic Post Reply