Buying Plants

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Buying Plants

Post by kHT »

Anyone else noting what plants are being potted in recently?

We have noted more filler and less dirt and it you just stick the plant into the soil, the perennials are just not coming back!
We started noting the soil this past year when a couple awesome looking Columbines didn't return and when we dug them up
to replace them we saw why. The dirt they were in just killed them!! We also noted that they came from the same place all
the pink lilies came from and we removed all the soil from them when we put them into the ground. So when we get a new
plant we remove all the soil that it was potted up in and put it in new soil we have here. What a huge difference in both the plant
and growth patterns.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Buying Plants

Post by govgirl75 »

Have had some problems with annuals bought at just one greenhouse out of the 7 or so I get plants from each year. The plants just dry up and die after you put them in the ground . What ever the mix they use, it doesn't seem to have much soil, if any at all. Also, I am not seeing as large a root system on these plants. If I get back before the end of the season, I will ask about what they are using.
Also, I bought a bag of potting mix to make my containers. I left it in the car in the garage for a couple hours. The odor is awful and won't go away. I don't know what is in it that makes it smell so bad, but I may not use it. They did not have my regular brand but recommended this stuff. YUK!
New Topic Post Reply