Climbing rose question

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

Brad

Climbing rose question

Post by Brad »

Last year we planted 2 different types of a climbing rose. 1 type is being trained along a split rail fence at the end of our drive, and the other was a very cheap type that we bought at Menard's to climb a lattice panel attached to our deck. Now for the question--Do we trim either of these back or just let them pick up where they left off last season?

Thanks
Brad
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Brad!

I say trim them, but don't go hog wild...I did that one year, and it did fine, but it was way shorter...Try to look for dead canes. Also, remember to put Elmer's wood glue on the ends where you trim, so borers/bugs don't get in.....A Menards rose? :o Good Luck!! :lol: Also, I hope you buried the bud union 4-6 inches below the ground.....Winter protection....If not, get your next climbers from Pickerings.... :D

http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/tw/We ... _store.cgi
NEroseman

Post by NEroseman »

Ditto what Lucy has said (Hi Lucy! waving). With modern climbers you want to go easy with the pruners because they need as much blooming wood as possible. Just take-out the obviously dead wood but NEVER prune a climber way back like a Hybrid Tea nearly to the ground or you won't see flowers for at least one maybe two seasons. :(
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Waving back at ya, Nerm!!

Boy, I have been outside looking and I am not going to prune much off mine this year......Plus, I am so tired of not having them do much, that I am planting a clemmie on two of my pillars....(I have 3) one pillar is doing great with Dublin Bay and Sombreuil on it, but the others with 2 each of Illusion & Sympathie, forget it....I am tired of waiting so clemmie's it is......I need to block that icky neighbor.....

Good Luck Brad!!
NEroseman

Post by NEroseman »

Sorry to hear that 'Sympathie' & 'Illusion' haven't done well, Lucy :( I really thought they'd do better :oops:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Me too, Nerm......Oh well.......Now watch, I will plant the Clemmie and they will take off.....:lol: And if they do......GOOD!! :D
New Topic Post Reply