Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I'm curious. We have only three roses so far:

Cecil Brunner

Ebb Tide

Iceberg
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

The McCartney Rose is one I will never be without. Beautiful form, scent and absolutely bulletproof! No blackspot, it laughs at powdery mildew and is a great grower for me in my no spray garden.

Another one I have that I will never be without is Abraham Darby. The scent is intoxicating (sort of a citrusy, rosy sweet scent) and the colors are prefect for my taste. He can be a bit of a black spot problem, but he still manages to come back and put on a show each year.

Add to the list Marie Curie (which has been renamed Romantic Dreams :roll: ) a wonderful shrimpy peachy pink blend that has a strong spicy clove scent to the blooms. This one is bulletproof for me too. Never has blackspot and keeps charging back despite my hacking it back to a manageable size each year. SHe is supposed to be 3' x 3' but mine regularly is over 5' by the end of the summer.

I love all the Austins, but so many of them are blackspot magnets I won't (or can't) grown them since I refuse to spray.

I also really like Gruss an Aachen, but there seem
to be two of them in commerce right now. THe pink one is rather garish compared to the pale creamy one, IMHO. I HAD a creamy one but accidentally killed it and the replace ment is the pinker one. It isn't bad enough to shovel prune, but I am not as happy with it.

Ones that I have had, lost and will never replace (call this the avoid list unless you live in southern California and spray religiously)

Barbara Streisand
JFK
Simply Marvelous!
Evelyn
Candelabra (might have been because it was a $2.99 body bag from Wal-Mart instead of a decent specimen though)

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Midnight Reiter Too

caliloo wrote:The McCartney Rose is one I will never be without. Beautiful form, scent and absolutely bulletproof! No blackspot, it laughs at powdery mildew and is a great grower for me in my no spray garden.
I think i remember that one. Is it a rosy pink?
caliloo wrote: Another one I have that I will never be without is Abraham Darby. The scent is intoxicating (sort of a citrusy, rosy sweet scent) and the colors are prefect for my taste. He can be a bit of a black spot problem, but he still manages to come back and put on a show each year.
Wow! I looked it up and it's GORGEOUS!!!
caliloo wrote: Add to the list Marie Curie (which has been renamed Romantic Dreams :roll: ) a wonderful shrimpy peachy pink blend that has a strong spicy clove scent to the blooms. This one is bulletproof for me too. Never has blackspot and keeps charging back despite my hacking it back to a manageable size each year. SHe is supposed to be 3' x 3' but mine regularly is over 5' by the end of the summer.
That one is beautiful, too!
caliloo wrote: I love all the Austins, but so many of them are blackspot magnets I won't (or can't) grown them since I refuse to spray.
I love those, too. I'm very glad you warned me about them. I don't want to spray.
caliloo wrote: I also really like Gruss an Aachen, but there seem
to be two of them in commerce right now. THe pink one is rather garish compared to the pale creamy one, IMHO. I HAD a creamy one but accidentally killed it and the replace ment is the pinker one. It isn't bad enough to shovel prune, but I am not as happy with it.
I'm picturing afternoon tea, and Victorian lace.
caliloo wrote: Ones that I have had, lost and will never replace (call this the avoid list unless you live in southern California and spray religiously)

Barbara Streisand
JFK
Simply Marvelous!
Evelyn
Candelabra (might have been because it was a $2.99 body bag from Wal-Mart instead of a decent specimen though)

Alexa
Thank you for the tips!!!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I found a photo of THe McCartney rose from last year. I would call it a hot pink.

I love love love it though!

Here's an Abraham Darby - not a great shot, I should have waited a day or so for it to open more.

And my Marie Curie - what a babe!

Good luck and let us know what you like - I'm sure more people will chime in with suggestions and opinions!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
lilibeth

Post by lilibeth »

i also love the McCartney rose.. i can't resist it's smell. aside from its beautiful color, the rose looks so precious .
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

What is my favorite?? :hmm: I have been slowing getting rid of them..... :o ......dug about 4 dead ones this spring and I am not done.....there are more.....I would have to say for me the favorite is the Crocus Rose......I don't remember the other names, but the more hardy ones, and even those start dwindling after awhile....DH loves when I dig a rose bush up....:lol:....I am replacing them with less fussy, more sharing friendly.......DAYLILIES!! :lol: Although, I will always have a few......but they are not what they are cracked up to be......then come the durn JAPANESE BEATLES........that in itself, is enough to make me quit having them.....:lol:

So.......sorry for the rant on them... :oops:

Crocus Rose is my favorite, I guess..... 8-)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Abe Lincoln
Paradise
JFK
McCartney

One the minis:
Lynn Ann :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

What Stella di Oro is to daylilies, Pink Knockout is to roses. This is the one rose, everyone should and can grow.
Dustbunny

Post by Dustbunny »

I found a new rose bush that I just love...
colors are yellow and white.

the yellow are thornless, white are not thornless, but both are fast growers,

Rosa banksiae

I now have some I am trying to get cuttings from, two yellow bushes came to me rooted, but one is not doing well, where as the other has taken off.

photo:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/ar ... ksiae.html

check this out.. Largest rose bush in the USA: It has been growing since 1885

http://www.aztriad.com/rosebush.html
A man does not disturb the flower on
its stem or the spider in its web.
Those things will come to an end soon enough,
It is not meant for man to end them.
Midnight Reiter Too

caliloo wrote:I found a photo of THe McCartney rose from last year. I would call it a hot pink.

I love love love it though!

Here's an Abraham Darby - not a great shot, I should have waited a day or so for it to open more.

And my Marie Curie - what a babe!

Good luck and let us know what you like - I'm sure more people will chime in with suggestions and opinions!

Alexa
You won't have to post any more photos. I just died and went to heaven! :lol: Those were beautiful! I'll let you all know how it goes.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Midnight Reiter Too

LucyGoose wrote:What is my favorite?? :hmm: I have been slowing getting rid of them..... :o ......dug about 4 dead ones this spring and I am not done.....there are more.....I would have to say for me the favorite is the Crocus Rose......I don't remember the other names, but the more hardy ones, and even those start dwindling after awhile....DH loves when I dig a rose bush up....:lol:....I am replacing them with less fussy, more sharing friendly.......DAYLILIES!! :lol: Although, I will always have a few......but they are not what they are cracked up to be......then come the durn JAPANESE BEATLES........that in itself, is enough to make me quit having them.....:lol:

So.......sorry for the rant on them... :oops:

Crocus Rose is my favorite, I guess..... 8-)[/
Oh, no...I can't read this! Sorry you have had such a hard time. :(
Midnight Reiter Too

DryGulch wrote:What Stella di Oro is to daylilies, Pink Knockout is to roses. This is the one rose, everyone should and can grow.
Is the stem long enough for cut flowers?
Midnight Reiter Too

lilibeth wrote:i also love the McCartney rose.. i can't resist it's smell. aside from its beautiful color, the rose looks so precious .
It's obvious that I'll have to get one of these if I find that roses survive in our yard.
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

I LOVE Rosarium Uetersen- I have it for about 10 years ( excuse my bad english - iám from germany).

Its a relly huge rose now has got NO diseases ever and blooms from June to December!..My best Rose: Here you see it on the left of the small house- I´ll make pics when it begins to bloom...

greetz
melanie
karen171

Post by karen171 »

My favorite rose is either Blush Noisette or the rugosa, Laurette. Both very easy to grow and oh so fragrant. Laurette is unusual for a rugosa in that its cranberry colored canes are nearly thornless. The pastel pink color reminds me of strawberry ice cream. Here is the Ashdown link. And the photo below is my own...sorry, a bit blurry.

http://www.ashdownlibrary.com/libraryro ... .asp?LAURE
Attachments
RUGOSAS 003.jpg
RUGOSAS 003.jpg (3.12 KiB) Viewed 13632 times
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Gandhi
Midnight Reiter Too

Re: Which are your favorite roses?

Well, I'm a rose killer, so I'm going to need advice.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply