roses against a house??

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

roses against a house??

Post by gardengirl13 »

OK so I know some climbers are not so great to put against a house as they can rot the wood. But what about roses? With a nice support will they be ok against my wood sided house? I just bought a small climbing rose that I love already, I'm trying to figure out whether I should make a support almost right against the house, or should I put it out a bit to it doesn't touch the wood much?

Also is it too late in the season to fertilize or should I wait until spring? I've never grown roses, so I don't know what I'm doing! The two older plants given to me, are ok, but rather sad. I'd like to give them some more love and get them flowering nicely!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: roses against a house??

Post by kHT »

For climbers, one shouldn't put them right up against the wood siding. Set the trellis away from the house so that the rose has room for air circulation.
Fall isn't the time to fertilize, one needs them to go to rest now. The last week of February is the time to cut roses back and we wait until the date of the
last frost before we start fertilizing.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Congrats on finding a climber that you like.
I would put up a very sturdy trellis made of a material that requires no maintenance. Once the rose gets going, unless you are going to pull it over to winter it on the ground, trellis maintenance is a real pain to do. Then place the trellis at least 6 inches (12 to 18 inches is better) away from the house so the rose bush is not scratching the siding or introducing insects to the siding. Air circulation is important in controlling fungus and black spot on roses, which is another reason to keep the trellis away from the house. Also, you may get some mold on the paint where the rose shades the siding, so it is better if there is room to get between the back of the trellis and the siding should you want to clean the siding. You can use standoffs screwed to the siding and the trellis to make the trellis really sturdy.
If you want to fertilize the rose bushes, don't wait much longer. Try to time your last application to about 4 to 6 weeks from when you will have the first killing frost in your area. Once it gets really cold, you can mound up 6 to 8 inches of soil or compost over the crown of the plant and wrap the plant in burlap to protect the stems from the cold winter winds. I usually just push some dirt around my plants and let it go. I have had pretty good luck with that. I have two roses that are 30 years old and going strong and they have not been pampered.
I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your roses.
Gloria
gardengirl13

Post by gardengirl13 »

Thanks so much guys!!! Even this late in the year I've already cut about 6 blooms off to bring into the bedroom. 2 at a time, and they smell up the whole room! They're a lovely blush pink. Almost white. My husband was going to hang a trellis when he does the christmas lights, since we'll be borrowing our landlords ladder for that. So that'll be done around thanksgiving.

Now with mulch, is it ok to have it close to the plant, meaning about 4" from the stems? In the spot we put it we filled the hole with nice humus and soil since it's quite dry against the foundation. We wanted to mulch to help with the moisture a bit too. Plus against the house it's almost a zone 7-8 since we've been able to keep glads and dahlias year-round without digging them up, so I'm hoping that'll help with winter temps. We'll also be getting burlap for some shrubs so we'll get extra for the roses.

I'll wait to fertilize until spring when I do everything else. Our first frost last year was very early, I don't want to chance that this year.

As for taking care of black spot and other issues, aside from air, what is good to do? I try not to water the leaves when watering, any kind of spray, or is it better to not use anything?

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

It has been my experience that most roses get fungus at some time or another,but there are some things you can do to minimize the damage.
Water the soil below the plant, not the plant itself.
Plant the rose in such a way that it gets good air circulation around it.
Pick up any plant litter, including fallen leaves and petals, and whatever you prune from the plant.
Prune off spent blossoms, dead wood and any part that looks suspicious. I also pick off leaves that look unhealthy.
Keep your plants as healthy as possible with regular fertilizer and regular watering. Roses do not like wet feet nor do they like to get dried out.
Realize that all your efforts will reduce, but probably not eliminate, fungus and black spot in your rose garden. Mother Nature will wet the foliage and raise the humidity to the point where the plants will most certainly develop some black spot and fungus. You can treat them with a fungicide from the garden center. Ask what works well in your area and use that.
I use a systemic slow release rose fertilizer that has a systemic insecticide in it. It helps protect the rose from bugs like aphids that suck on the plant. The garden center will have that, too.
I usually mulch my gardens, including my roses. I do keep the mulch a few inches away from the base of the plant.
Hope this helps. Don't angst over rose care. Some years, no matter what you do, the roses will look horrible because of fungus and black spot and Japanese beetles infestation. Other years, they will be the shining spot in your garden. Just enjoy them.
Gloria
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You have got some good advises here and keeoing it a bit away from the house makes it easier to tie it up.

Give them some alfalfa, best thing I ever did for my roses.

Hope you have planted them deep. Like clematis roses have to be planted 5 to 6 inch deeper than they are in the pot.
The "junktion/ plade they are conected" have to be under the soil and best at least 4 inches. Nearly all roses live on one sort of root with a named rose attacled to it... LOL I do not know the right word for it, but hope you know what I mean.

If not, pile up some dirt. I have never had any problems with piling up around the sterm - it is a frost protection.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

OC has rose gfainst his house and they grow up the drain from the gutters. Don't knw where they came from, just showeds up one day. (Thank you Lord andf Little Birds...) Will try to find a old picture of it, and will definitely get you one, next Spring. Thy re a beautiful Dark Red.

As for keeping Roses free of of Fungus and Rust, (that is a problem we do have in S.C. as we have really high Humidity from about June-August or until the heat breaks in the fall). OC has found that there are several good Treatments to cure this. Since you don't usdually see tyhis until after the Roses have bloomed, OC always sprayed the leaves with a week solutionof bar soap, not detergent Or a boughgt Rose spray. I do fertilize them heavily in the spring at the Root. :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
gardengirl13

Post by gardengirl13 »

bumping up my old thread.

I thought I had posted about my shrubs and roses the other day and now can't find the post.

We may be moving at the end of the month and I want this rose to come with us. There is a trellis going up to a pergola but it's on the shady side and my husband is freaked out about the wood rotting on it. But there is a fence around the raised beds, which will be replaced next year, the fence and the beds! There are two small cut way back roses there already, so I'm thinking of adding my two to them. There also is an arbor type thing where the garden gate is too which will hold either roses or clematis.

now how do I go about moving this guy. The last two years he's really REALLY taken off. He's already well over 8' tall. I plan on diging way out and way deep to make sure to get a huge root ball. But should we cut him back a little, a lot or not at all? My husband thinks it'll be easier to move him if we cut him back to about 18-24", but I worry that's too severe.

As for the other plants I think I keep them here and not start another thread, I hope that's ok.

We want to dig up the hydrangeas, dwarf lilac, holly, clematis, azalea and a few others. Now there are some I think will do ok as they get cut back most years any way, like the butterfly bush and the snow fairy guy we got last year. But aside from digging up huge root balls and digging big holes when we get there, is there anything else we should do? We plan on buying some humus and compost if we can find it this time of year and add that to the holes then mulch well and water well as long as it won't freeze too much in the next few nights after planting them.

I want to take even more then this, but doing that much digging just won't be possible. Plus I don't want to chance killing anything.

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Some of it will transplant alright but others will struggle. Roses don't move too well in the fall, and they don't really have a large, traditional root system and usually bare root on their own when you dig them. I've never had good luck with bare root fall transplants here, but we also tend to have wet winters. Don't water too much in the fall - they are dormant and can't use that much water and without foliage can't get rid of excess. Moist but not wet is best.

Good luck with the big move!

Chris
gardengirl13

Re: roses against a house?? (new questions)

Post by gardengirl13 »

Well even with this cold and crazy wind this week, the roses still have all their leaves as of today. So that may help me a bit. I do wrap a tiny bit of burlap around them in winter too, and what the deer don't eat they sometimes keep maybe 10% of their leaves. Our winters are wet too though. And this new house some of the land is wet, not soaking wet, where we're putting the roses, it drains ok, but not great.

Now what about cutting them back? We trimmed the tops of the older one since it wrapped itself into the clematis around the other side of the house. But it's still 8' tall. I'd like to keep as much as possible, but if it'd transplant better I'd rather trim it. Would down to 4' be ok, or should I go down to more like 24"? The newer rose hasn't grown yet this year and just finished flowering less then a month ago! Crazy thing! I think that'll transplant well.

Now another silly question, since they're climbing roses if I plant them on a fence will they want to keep growing up and not trail on the fence, or will tying them to the fence be ok and they'll be happy?

Thanks again!!!!

New Topic Post Reply