transplanting a rose bush

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

lindyw
USDA Zone: 5

transplanting a rose bush

Post by lindyw »

My dad moved my grandmothers rose bush years ago and my mom looks like she will be moving in another year. Dad said to be sure to get that rose. So when is the best time for this? Spring? Any tips?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: transplanting a rose bush

Post by Chris_W »

I've tried moving them in the fall without much success, and tried in the summer and they didn't do well so I had to trim it back most of the way, but in the spring they are really easy. Often the roots just go down and out, with long tap roots, so I use a shape flat spade and cut all the way around before prying at it, to make sure it comes out cleanly and I don't disturb the crown too much. Move it when it hasn't quite leafed out or is just barely starting and water in good after you move it, then it won't normally need much water in the spring and will leaf out fine.

Hope that helps.

Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: transplanting a rose bush

Post by kHT »

Here in the PNW we cut our roses back around President's Day and I find that is the best time to move or start cuttings. I have had success moving them in also in the summer and fall it really depends where they are moved to and how they are cared for during the winter months. It really depends on your area.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply