Containers on my Deck

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Containers on my Deck

Post by JaneG »

Was out taking pictures today and decided to snap some of the containers on my deck. Went a little heavy on the sweet potato vine and coleus this year!
Attachments
TwoPotsOnDeck.jpg
Clematis is in the ground on the other side of the railing, but grows up over the railing, I like it that way.
<br />Lancifolia has been in this pot for several years.  Struggling this year due to frost and heat.
Clematis is in the ground on the other side of the railing, but grows up over the railing, I like it that way.
Lancifolia has been in this pot for several years. Struggling this year due to frost and heat.
ContainersOnDeck1.jpg
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Here's a picture of the side of the deck. The birds were sitting on the railing and pooping all over it. YUCK!!! So decided to discourage that behavior by putting containers all along the railing, with plants that they couldn't perch on. It looks a little overdone, but I like it anyway. The deck is pretty high off the ground on that side, so it helps break the harsh view to the ground.

That large center post supports an arbor with honeysuckle and clematis. The arbor was added later. This deck is on the southwest corner, full sun all the time. The arbor and the plants make it seem cooler.
Attachments
PotsOnDeckRail.jpg
JaneG
Snow

Post by Snow »

Very pretty Jane! I also love the brightly colored coleus, and use them a lot. I like the way you placed the creeping jenny around the edge of that container, like a skirt! I adore the chartreuse sweet potato vine. Unfortunately, we have a little beetle here that devours it, so rather than spray with chemicals, we just opt not to plant it :(
~*Snow*~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Love your container gardens :D , but now you HAVE to show that arbor? Always looking for new ideas :)

What type of clem is that? Do you have something that it climbs to get up that high from the ground?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

The side of the deck with the clematis is only about 18" off the ground. I have an old steel wagon wheel rim leaning against the side of the deck, the clematis climbs up the wheel and then onto the deck rail. I stuck a wooden trellis in there to give it a little more height.

Here's an old picture of the arbor over the other deck. This was taken the summer after we built it. The vines on both sides are now up the sides and starting to crawl across the top.

As you can see in this pic, one of the 2x8 on the top warped pretty badly as it dried and looks like it's sagging (you never know what that treated lumber will do as it dries). The post you see in the new pictures fixes that sag so the board is straight again.
Attachments
Arbor 2 years ago
Arbor 2 years ago
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, am I misunderstanding, or not seeing other pics you mentioned?

I remember that arbor now that I see it! I loved it before and still do. We need something similar on ours, but still not sure what? Hopefully yours will inspire dh to reconsider the thought :) He just loves me bringing him more ideas :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

It's not you Jane, I didn't post any other new pics, just the arbor. I was just telling you about the clematis and the wagon wheel, no pic. :lol: :lol: Did ya think you were going crazy??! :lol:

These pics are on two different decks, one newer than the other. That might also make it more confusing! :roll:
JaneG
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Very pretty! I would love to sit out on your patio,,,it looks so relaxing.

Debbie :-)

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC never logs on Hallsons that he doesn't learn something

Post by oldcoot »

His deck looks very similar to yours and he has the same problems. Birds pooping everywhere. He has some nice trays that would look GOOD on his deck rail and next spring he will fill them with all KINDS of pretties....Be going more and more to container gardening on his deck. Just too hard to get outside in the heat of summer. PLUS, he can make pictures on his deck and go right back inside before he gets too hot.........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply