Bulb protection

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Libby

Bulb protection

Post by Libby »

I was cleaning out the garage today and found a couple extra grill screens I bought on clearance last fall. If you have bulbs in containers these will keep the squirrels out during the fall and winter. I just anchor them with garden pins, small stakes or even pieces of twigs. Thirteen inches round, with a slight cup to the edge, they also come in a rectangular shape that I use directly on garden areas.

Only 99 cents @ regular price, too.
Attachments
grill topper Medium Web view.jpg
grill topper Medium Web view.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 8814 times
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Great Idea Libby! Where did you find something like that? At a box store? Could be very useful... :)
Jeanne
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Great idea!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Yes Jeanne, at a box store, right by the grills and accessories. You can also elevate them with small rocks underneath so when the shoots begin to come up they have space above, yet still be protected from squirrels and rabbits.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Libby, are you burying these in the ground on top of the bulbs?
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
shaggybirdman

Post by shaggybirdman »

heres how to keep the critters away from your garden. put out a few pans of cian pepper seeds.it will burn there mouths, and won't return due to bad food.
Libby

Post by Libby »

No tma, I don't bury them. Just anchor them on top of the pot to keep them from digging inside it. On the ground, I anchor them flat over winter, then raise them up a few inches when I see signs of green shoots. By the time the tulips/blubs are a couple of inches tall I remove the screen and they're on their own. Mainly it's just protection from that constant digging the squirrels do in the fall and winter.
New Topic Post Reply