Mourning Dove and Chickadee

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Bluecanoe

Mourning Dove and Chickadee

Post by Bluecanoe »

I'm still trying to catch the Cardinals on the camera, they're sneaky! I was focusing on a Chickadee and I see the red out of the corner of my eye as a Cardinal swooped in, grabbed a peanut and took off! Then I'll be looking out the back door and there's a Cardinal sitting on the sunflower feeder as calm as can be, I run for the camera and poof he's off again. Rats!!

However, I got the Mourning Dove today and the Chickadees are all over the place, I don't know why it took me a couple of days to get their photos.. :???:
Attachments
Chickadee ballancing act.
Chickadee ballancing act.
Another angle
Another angle
Mourning Dove eating off the ground as usual.
Mourning Dove eating off the ground as usual.
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Nice pictures

Post by oldcoot »

As an aside, O.C. has found that DOVES LOVE Safflower seed. Got to go to the FCX tomorrow to get some more. Wally World is alsays out it seems..FCX keeps it in bins and will sell you as much or as little as you want.......

Not only the doves, but the finches and Cardinals like Safflower..and the best part is that Squirrels HATE it. Must have a bad odor to them.(O.C. can't smell them though)

John that Old Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

O.C. is right . And a platform feeder is often the best for catching cardinals in the act I find. They don't seem to like to be on teh ground like a mourning dove, but will sit a tad longer the platform filling their cheeks, along with the bluejays. Love your pics.

And I LOVE waking up being cooed by a set of mournings :) Enjoyed your pics :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Don't know if I told you or not

Post by oldcoot »

I saw a male and a female Cardnal on the Safflow Feeded some time back. The male was feeding the female. Wanted to try to get a picture but they flew off before I could set up. I also saw a male oused finch, doing he same thing to a female. I believed BOTH of the groups wefre pairs b ecause I always see them at the same time...What sweeties...

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lynda, great pics! I miss the mourning doves. I use to get quite a few when I lived in Toronto. I have heard that cardinals do like to have a platform on their feeders.

I still haven't been able to get pics of the goldfinches,,,,when I see them I never have my camera handy and by the time I grab it and go back,,they fly away. :lol:

Debbie

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Well then, after dinner tonight, just take your most comfortable garden chair and cup of tea out near, but not right under the finch feeder :wink: and have yourself a little quiet time. Oh, and your camera. They will come.

The best way to catch them, is to be out there right after you fill it! They're so tempted then, they won't even notice you. By this time of year, mine don't even leave when I'm near the feeders unless I'm mowing or yelling at hawks! LOL
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply